• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

kind of a dissapointment

BLUNT

i thought id splurge on a new heater valve as everything else in there is new and im unsure of the condition of mine. so i ordered one up and the guts are plastic. its still a nice brass exterior but the actual valve and the attachment point for the arm is plastic. wtf? i guess itll work fine but i expected an all brass unit. oh well

www.BluntTech.com
FAQ Supporting Vendor
 Sales@BluntTech.com

weren't the factory ones using plastic for the arm to be fastened to?

that annoyed me, but i had mine lubed up with some sunroof mechanism greases

has worked fine, though i try to be careful not to move the slider too quickly

1969 2002 Automatic "Pumpkin"

maybe so, i just have 2 that i collected along the way and they are both brass thru and thru. including the swivel part the arm attaches to. oh well

www.BluntTech.com
FAQ Supporting Vendor
 Sales@BluntTech.com

maybe so, i just have 2 that i collected along the way and they are both brass thru and thru. including the swivel part the arm attaches to. oh well

two good(?) brass ones, reminds me of the old sayin: if it aint broke....;)

so true, i know that saying. i just rarely follow it. while im in there,,,,, you know

www.BluntTech.com
FAQ Supporting Vendor
 Sales@BluntTech.com

so true, i know that saying. i just rarely follow it. while im in there,,,,, you know

I have nothing to add, but I like the quote within a quote, within a quote, etc., and wanted to keep it going!

aww thats too bad. But not a big deal. By the way BLUNT, I got that bracket for the front license plate. The holes on my bumper were a little wider than the studs that come out of that bracket, but no biggie, I just drilled a couple more holes in the bumper and put the license plate on. Looks great! Funny, cuz it actually makes the fron look nice, more complete or something. My friend agreed...

Plus, my license is MMUZIKK because Im a musician, so looks cool on the front.

Did you put yours on?

Thanx, Lance

Lance Jones... my name

1970 BMW 2002 ...my car

www.myspace.com/lancejonesmusic ....my music

Those all-brass heater valves can be fully "rebuilt" with two generic o-rings and some silicone grease. I did mine over four years ago (it was leaking and hard to move) and is has been perfect since.

Sorry I never recorded the o-ring sizes i used - I just picked ones that seemed to fit from the selection at a real hardware store. A small fattish one for the shaft and a larger skinny one for the housing seal.

The toughest part is getting the screws undone - some PB blaster, time, and finesse technique using an impact driver (the kind you hit with a hammer) with a well-fitting bit will handle it. Then, clean everything with a brass brush and reassemble with new o-rings and the all-important lube on the shaft.

regards,

Zenon

'73 2002 Verona (Megasquirt/318i EFI conversion, daily driver)
http://www.zeebuck.com

I received the same last spring when I replaced mine and like Bill's there were no threads cut into the unit. I have saved the old valve however. If you disassemble it you will see that it two gasket seals that would need replacing and I think it would work fine. The gaskets are quite thin and would be a pain to make, but it can be done. The new one was the easy an quick way out.

If you want to revive an old brass one, put the smaller end of the inner piece in your drill. Hold a piece of emory cloth in one hand, run the drill on slow and polish the large cylinder. Install with new o-rings, good grease and forget about it for a while. FYI Blunt, the valves have been plastic for a while now. 10 years?