• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

WHAT'S UP WITH DEALERSHIP PRICES???

winstontj

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What I meant was that when I buy things nickel and dime or here and there I don't care. But when I put together a long list of parts that ends up totaling several hundred dollars in just fasteners it really hits home and I get upset. I don't mind if I pay a premium here and there because for one bolt or washer I don't feel it or see it. BUT when you add it up it really hurts.

Hope that's clarification enough...... I do care about this and will no longer buy from the dealer like I used to.

'79 & '80 Vespas, R75/6 + R90/6 (and a Triumph), '76 IH Scout II

E36 

'71 VIN: 2574356 - Nevada, Sunroof, RUST and a really nice '76

Parts prices at BMW dealers often are high in relation to independent vendors such as Bavarian Autosport and retail stores and online sellers backed by distributors such as WorldPac and SSF.

From a dealer you always get genuine BMW OE parts designed and built to BMW specifications. Much of the stuff from independents is cheaper because it's from OEM or aftermarket sources that are merely imitating BMW parts. Sometimes there's a difference that matters, and sometimes not.

Dealers are independent businesses, and each sets parts prices as it sees fit. Some parts departments have old timers that can efficiently locate and order old parts. Most don't, and it costs them more to fill those orders, so they charge more for low volume parts.

Likewise, the discount for BMW CCA members is individually negotiated with each parts department, and so those vary, too. It's not clear from your comment whether you approve or disapprove of the gift your dealer offers members.

One way that dealers are alike is that the service departments don't like working on older cars. Most will not work on 2002s or even anything older than an E36. Since the service department doesn't work on older cars, the parts department doesn't stock those parts, and the parts people are unfamiliar with them.

BMW Mobile Tradition in Germany is going a reasonably good job of keeping 2002 parts available. As stocks are depleted, they re-order in small batches, often having to build new tooling or locate a new supplier. Naturally, the cost of these small batches is higher than production quantities, so that drives up the cost of some parts. You can expect the price of older parts to continue to rise.

Your dealer can order from the worldwide BMW parts system and get parts to you in a few days. Normally, you do not pay a separate shipping charge.

Yes, small fasteners are expensive at the dealer. Use a different source if you have one. If not, consider the difference a valid convenience charge.

Curt Ingraham

1972 2002tii, 1976 2002

Improved 2002 Radiators

I appreciate the discount members are given. The 18% we used to get was better but I'll take 10% over 0%. As for the rest... the post started out as more of a vent than anything else but moving forward I'm going to look at it as BMW's and 02's are moving up on the food chain. The more expensive our cars and parts get the higher up on the food chain we climb, making things harder to come by, more desirable, and better - or at leaset I can't find any other ways to justify the raise in price other than being a proud member of eliteism - if that's a word

'79 & '80 Vespas, R75/6 + R90/6 (and a Triumph), '76 IH Scout II

E36 

'71 VIN: 2574356 - Nevada, Sunroof, RUST and a really nice '76

but it will take some years. Their prices continue on a gradual increase. If you have room, buy and store those otherwise decent cars that are going to the salvage yards and crusher. If you have engineering or manufacturing skill, make and sell some of those NLA parts.

Curt Ingraham

1972 2002tii, 1976 2002

Improved 2002 Radiators

jonny, get off the computer and finish that car. you need to pick me up at JFK in 3 days. please have pants on this time

The Black car is done...'cept for the stereo intrmittantly cutting out.

It NEWARK AND IT'S 4 DAYS!! GET YOUR FACTS STRAIGHT!

I have my GPS and a printout of how to get back to L.I. Will you be my co-pilot so I don't make a wrong turn and end up in the City???

Wait!!! CHANGE OF PLANS!!! Hotle to Newark is 2 hrs, each way.

We won't make it to our 1st event whic is at 7:30 1/2 from the hotel!!

I'm gonna chow 5 valiums when I get to newark. You then take over the wheel and drive 105mph back to L.I.!! Keep the tach @ 3500. With the 3;73 dif....it's quick off the line but rev's higher on the interstate.

If I get us lost navigation, have your wife take over co-pilot operations...otherwise we will end up Fear & loathing in manhatten!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1111111111111111111

BUS_CARDfaq.jpg

AKA: "Captain Obvious"

Drivers:

'72 '02

75 Opel Ascona

e21

2-e30's

2-e28's

15+ parts cars

http://myworld.ebay.com/ebaymotors/fosters.3

Its a joke that the dealers here in the Bay Area CA offer a BMWCCA discount! They mark the prices up 33% over BMW list, then "give" us 10% off that. I'm not a math major but that sounds like we're still getting ripped off. $3 bolts or washers is a joke, and only started recently. Only buy from dealers online/phone that sell stuff for 20% off list (true BMW list). There are several in NJ, NC, basically back east. Find their ads in Roundel or Bimmer mag. Try this online dealer too, good prices overall on most items:

http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/index.cfm?action=searchCatalogOEM&siteid=26

Jeff
1975 Alfa Romeo GT1300Junior w/1600 transplant (I'm still stuck on 1600's LOL)
2006 M3 White/Red - Orig Owner,6spd,ZCP, sunroof delete
SOLD 1967 1600 #1517644 "Florida"/Brown w/sunroof, SOLD 1968 1600 #1564660, RIP 1970 1600

Anyone reading this thread should reread Curt's post carefully. His explanation is great.

These are 30+ year old cars. When they were built, I don't think BMW expected them to last anywhere near that long. The new parts you buy have either been in storage somewhere, which costs money, or they have been recreated in small lots at current manufacturering prices.

I've owned BMWs since 1972 and have had at least one early 70s BMW that entire time. I'm just happy that BMW continues to support the older cars and in fact is improving that support, at least for some models.

We have a 77 320i and am finding that the parts supply for that model is starting to dry up and I am not so hopefull that that situation will improve. But for 2002s and CSs, things look pretty good.

Just be glad you don't have an NK sedan or a 2000CS. BMW NA threw away all the parts specific to those cars in the late 70s. If you want parts specific to them, you pretty much have to find a parts car or make the part.

You can complain about the dealers, but they have to control their costs to stay in business. I seriously doubt any BMW dealer has any more than a handfull of 2002 customers. Why should they stock parts for that demand? We are very lucky that they can order so many of the parts we need.

BMWCCA #2762
72 2002/71 2002ti, 67 2000CS, 2x 72 3.0CS
86 635, 2x 05 330Ci ZHP, 
'11 Corvette Grand Sport

We have a 77 320i and am finding that the parts supply for that model is starting to dry up and I am not so hopefull that that situation will improve. .

I have 5 e21 parts cars.

1 is a '77... (I already took all the vented stuff off, so anyone need not inquire).

The '77 Center console is in my '82 e21 as it's non-a/c style and quite spacious almost identical to an 02

BUS_CARDfaq.jpg

AKA: "Captain Obvious"

Drivers:

'72 '02

75 Opel Ascona

e21

2-e30's

2-e28's

15+ parts cars

http://myworld.ebay.com/ebaymotors/fosters.3

Not unless you're under some form of coersion or deception. You're an informed consumer, and you're shopping for the best value. If you buy from a local dealer, you're making a conscious choice for a valid reason (usually convenience), and that's not a "rip off".

As I said earlier, dealers are free to set their wholesale and retail prices. There is no "true BMW list" price.

Any discount off the normal retail price is a benefit for BMW CCA members.

Shop around. Know your sources. Know your constraints. Make the best decision. Be grateful you have choices.

Curt Ingraham

1972 2002tii, 1976 2002

Improved 2002 Radiators

to get parts for us in reasonable time periods. No it is not always Pep Boys but the parts are there, at a reasonable cost.

I think we all need to realize the business model for vintage car part vendors is low margin, very little stock and extreme cost control.

Bimmer parts when they were in Pottstown, PA could not sustain their business model of in stock inventory and prices we all loved. We do not need the few other vintage vendors to run down that road too.

Mobil Traditions works for us to keep parts flowing but the prices we all grew up went by the way of $1.25 high test gas.

As far as fasteners, I find Maryland Metrics near Baltimore or The Bolt Depot in Massachusetts to be the best value, I have never used McMaster-Carr though.

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5