• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

5 spd conversion question!

Supergeek

So im driving along and hear a big popping sound, checked the car and it looks like the guibo ate itself. So I figured if im going to be down there might as well do the 5spd swap. I was looking at the conversion kit available through Aardvarc Racing, just wondering if anyone here has purchased this kit, or any other. Or would it be better if I purchased the parts seperately. Any information will be great! Its been 5 days since I last drove my 02 and im starting to go alittle nuts! Thanks!

David G.

1976 BMW 2002 "Diana" Smog? What smog!!

1998 Nissan 200SX "Sayuki" Can't argue with 35 MPG!!

1987 Nissan 300ZX My Dad's old Z will soon be mine!!

I installed...then uninstalled the 2002haus kit (bad 5-speed). Everything bolted up like factory. I'll be repeating the process again with hopefully a good tranny this time.

I highly recommend this kit.

I've heard good things about Aardvarc, and I actually bought the 5-speed driveshaft from him.

Both are great to deal with.

-Justin
--
'76 02 (USA), '05 Toyota Alphard (Tokyo) - http://www.bmw2002.net

I installed the Aardvarc kit a few months back and have been very happy with it. The owner, Dave Varco, is a super nice guy and when very easily reachable when I had a couple of points in the installation where I got stuck. I have also heard that the 2002Haus kit is very good. I believe a fundamental difference between the two kits is that with the Aardvarc kit you drill new cross member mounting tabs into the transmission tunnel. However, with the 2002Haus kit he has somehow fabricated it such that you use the existing tabs. While drilling new ones wasn't particularly hard, per se, I did swallow pretty hard as I placed the drill bit against the tunnel and began pulling the trigger, just praying that my measure-five-times-drill-once, was sufficient. It was.

almost too nice to hide under the car), excellent fit, no hassle. Not cheap but worth the lack of hassle.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite