• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Progress on the bmw1602.com car ...** UPDATED 05/05/20 *

I figured that besides reducing my rotating mass and free'ing up some HP it might help improve my cooling. Since the water pump will be rotating slower the water will be flowing a bit slower thru the block at 6-7000rpms and therefore soaking up more heat and then staying longer thru the radiator therefore exchanging more heat......

that's my theory anyways.....

Lets see how it works out.

The stock crank pulley is 1lbs 3oz.

The Ireland Pulley is 9.2 oz. (nice weight savings huh?)

Ireland alternator pulley 7oz.

post-168-13667581575852_thumb.jpg

post-168-13667581576917_thumb.jpg

post-168-13667581577936_thumb.jpg

post-168-13667581578808_thumb.jpg

68' 1602

98' ///M3 Sedan

88' ///M3 Sold *

06' ///M3 Competition Pkg Sold *

http://www.bmw1602.com/

topbanner.gif

Is that the Ireland pulley that can accept a trigger wheel? I've been looking at that for a while, but if the diameter is that drastic of a change, I don't think it would be such a hot idea for a street car...

Awesome story though - and that throttle bracket sure looks bulletproof! I wish I could fab up stuff like that on a whim like you do.

SIG4.jpg

click signature above for my resto blog

yes it is that what the rib is for.....

there is a drastic change for sure, not sure how this would work on the street stuck on the freeway with bumper to bumper traffic. maybe then not enough water flow or not enough charging by the alternator is your sitting idling forever with bumper to bumper traffic...

Since the crank pulley went down in size and the alt. pulley went bigger in size I was actually still able to use the stock belt! If you change just one pulley for sure you will need to source out a smaller belt.

68' 1602

98' ///M3 Sedan

88' ///M3 Sold *

topbanner.gif

I just read through your blog and website... Awesome stuff! Congrats on all the stuff that you've been doing this year!

I just went to Big Willow last weekend and it's definitely a fun track. What better way to start racing than on "the fastest track in the west"?!! Loved the camera work, too!

Have you been out on any courses since April?

gif_dancinggir.gif :::Chris::: -> '04 VW GTI 1.8T ("Squeakers") -> 1975 BMW 2002 ("Gir")

May be too little too late on the comments but hey why not!

First - SHOWOFF... (talking about the welding)

I really like that net setup - trick with the buckle and all.

The Rotor thing. I saw pictures of distributorless ignition or some funky blue thing on your distributor. I'm not sure but the rotor fix you talk about can also cause arcing. Make sure that you really grind down into the rotor head and bury the 14ga wire. If not it can cause arcing which is equally bad IMO. There are ceramics or electrical insulators out there that you can buy in a tube that will work for rotor applications (heat resistant, etc.). Any electrical store (www.youdoitelectronics.com) or maybe even McMaster Carr would have it.

It's really cool to see your progress from the old red car to the paint job, getting the welder(s), fabrication, etc.

Someday.....

'79 & '80 Vespas, R75/6 + R90/6 (and a Triumph), '76 IH Scout II

E36 

'71 VIN: 2574356 - Nevada, Sunroof, RUST and a really nice '76

May be too little too late on the comments but hey why not!

First - SHOWOFF... (talking about the welding)

I really like that net setup - trick with the buckle and all.

The Rotor thing. I saw pictures of distributorless ignition or some funky blue thing on your distributor. I'm not sure but the rotor fix you talk about can also cause arcing. Make sure that you really grind down into the rotor head and bury the 14ga wire. If not it can cause arcing which is equally bad IMO. There are ceramics or electrical insulators out there that you can buy in a tube that will work for rotor applications (heat resistant, etc.). Any electrical store (www.youdoitelectronics.com) or maybe even McMaster Carr would have it.

It's really cool to see your progress from the old red car to the paint job, getting the welder(s), fabrication, etc.

Someday.....

The blue thing is peteinjp's setup not mine. I have not seen any evidence of arching but I will take your advice and try to insulate the wire.

...I'm still working on my welding skills, the more I do it the better they get! Thanks for the compliments!

68' 1602

98' ///M3 Sedan

88' ///M3 Sold *

topbanner.gif

• Administrators

I used to burn my rotors all the time after switching to Crane Ignition with a Fireball coil. On Jeremy's recommendation i went to a VW shop with a voltmeter and found a rotor that is resistorless. It is designed for electronic ignition and has a wider blade for longer spark. I bought two and just changed one after a few years and that is only for precautionary reasons. Have not burned one yet.

i can dig up a part number for you. but i think i posted it here in the past.

steve k.

Get your 2002 FAQ merchandise from 2002FAQ Store

man i really envy you and your car. I'm 18 and just got my 02 in may. Since then it's spent about 95% of its time in my garage because of cracked engine mounts, warped head, cracked radiator, replaced bushing, redo of whole front suspension, new shocks, transmission swap, short shift carb etc etc. I'm still waiting for my recaros so i can fully drive my car. right now it's too dangerous to REALLLY hit the hills in stock seats, but anyways, I know that feeling you have after months (for you probably years) of not being able to drive your car and finally getting to go out. Now i've got about a week to enjoy my car with the recaros and all the upgrades before i head to the uk for college, without my car.

I would love to drive something like that and i'm happy you finished your job man. You just get to start driving yours as i pretty soon won't be able to driving mine. So really appreciate all the work you put into her! don't ever forget how lucky you are!

CONGRATS

needy and demanding 72 02 known as Madame Von Kiki

I used to burn my rotors all the time after switching to Crane Ignition with a Fireball coil. On Jeremy's recommendation i went to a VW shop with a voltmeter and found a rotor that is resistorless. It is designed for electronic ignition and has a wider blade for longer spark. I bought two and just changed one after a few years and that is only for precautionary reasons. Have not burned one yet.

i can dig up a part number for you. but i think i posted it here in the past.

steve k.

please post the part number!! THanks......

68' 1602

98' ///M3 Sedan

88' ///M3 Sold *

topbanner.gif

man i really envy you and your car. I'm 18 and just got my 02 in may. Since then it's spent about 95% of its time in my garage because of cracked engine mounts, warped head, cracked radiator, replaced bushing, redo of whole front suspension, new shocks, transmission swap, short shift carb etc etc. I'm still waiting for my recaros so i can fully drive my car. right now it's too dangerous to REALLLY hit the hills in stock seats, but anyways, I know that feeling you have after months (for you probably years) of not being able to drive your car and finally getting to go out. Now i've got about a week to enjoy my car with the recaros and all the upgrades before i head to the uk for college, without my car.

I would love to drive something like that and i'm happy you finished your job man. You just get to start driving yours as i pretty soon won't be able to driving mine. So really appreciate all the work you put into her! don't ever forget how lucky you are!

CONGRATS

Thanks for the kind words!

I was 22 when I bought my 02' and now I'm 28 and racin' it. It was quite a feeling to pull out onto the track with it......

I did drive it on on the street for awhile and took it to auto-x's and stuff, but there was a couple of years of just working on it and no driving that really killed me. I almost sold it during that period a couple of times. I did kind of rush it a bit so I can go racing cause I was tired of just looking at it. I have to go thru my suspension now and a few other things.....

It never really ends.......I still have a lisc. plate and valid registration and insurance..........you never know you might see me cruisin around town.

68' 1602

98' ///M3 Sedan

88' ///M3 Sold *

topbanner.gif

I notice you are running the black cloth braided hoses on your intercooler setup. Have you found any good sources for it? Is it easy to put into the AN fiiting or is it still pretty difficult like the stainless braided?

It's a oil cooler..... but yes I chose cloth due to budget reasons! Steel braided was 2x more expensive and I had to buy many feet so it made a difference.

I bought it at the earls store when I complained about the price of the stell braided hose and he said "you could go with the cloth hose it's cheaper and just as tough".... Earls and many others should sell it. It's just as hard/easy as steel braided to assemble...

68' 1602

98' ///M3 Sedan

88' ///M3 Sold *

topbanner.gif