• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

rear ended yesterday, sympathy please

Luckily I was driving my trusty commuter prelude though. The guy that hit me wanted to just take care of it so I got an estimate and he asked me if cash would be ok. So after I buy a new tail light and find a used bumper cover at the boneyard or just bomb it with some duplicolor, a new set of ST bars and some other assorted goodies will go to the 02. So I'm not that upset over it, but given the choice would rather have done without the hassle of the whole thing.

Guest Anonymous

Square car though. Did you have to weld in a new rear panel, and how bad was the damage to the rear quarter?

...the quarter was buckled above the rear wheel well (where they all do when hit from behind). The body guy didn't replace the rear panel--he just pulled it out and worked it back into shape, then used some bondo to finish (but not much, I think). The other rear quarter also had a slight buckle over the wheel well, but I don't think he noticed it (and, in his defense, I didn't either until a while later).

I probably could have gotten a better repair, but he did a very good job for the price. Most people wouldn't notice it's been repaired in the first 20 minutes looking over the car, but you can tell on a close inspection. I think I paid about $1500 including installing two new fenders I gave him and repainting the whole car from the beltline down. I had removed the bumpers, grilles, rocker trim, etc., and he did a good job of matching the Colorado paint. And I have a car that looks good but that I'm not afraid to drive. Well, at least when I'm in the same hemisphere as it!

-Dave

Colorado '71 2002

'17 VW GTI Sport
'10 Honda Odyssey Family & Stuff Hauler

Metal and mental, over the accident. I still think that there are a lot of '02's that get rear ended because people today are conditioned to see a 3rd brake light in the high center part of the car. I installed a Valeo (pt #00.605.255) which I sourced from Susquehanna Motorsports, (www.rallylights.com). It is big, ugly and bright. Was sorry to do it but it may keep me out of jail as I will likely snap out on whomever hits the 72.

body shop in Fairborn (C&H Auto Body, (937) 878-1962) that has lots of experience with 2002s (well over a dozen). They do excellent work and are reasonable to boot.

Drop me an e-mail--there are a group of '02 owners in the Dayton area that get together to drive back roads, tinker with '02s and generally have a good time with our cars...

Sorry about the rear ender, but it's imminently fixable.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite