• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

'72 tii rebuild - update - 3/22/08

ibjettin

Nice timing. When I saw his ad, I immediately wondered if you would jump on it considering the region. I think you saved yourself many headaches starting from this one instead of continuing with the other one.

It does seem like non original paint. Is it Alpine White?

'74 02tii

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Very true about timing... It's funny how things work sometimes.

I haven't had a chance to take it off the trailer yet, but from everything I can see it's a better decision to make. :) Minimal rust compared to what I had on the '73.

It was originally gulf yellow and at one point was resprayed white (not sure if it's Alpine)...

• 2 weeks later...

Well last weekend I was able to get a couple of friends together to pull the '72 off the trailer and into the driveway to begin swapping over parts from the '73. I've been making pretty good progress - I installed the front end and will be installing the rear (hopefully) this week. Since we moved I keep forgetting to bring the camera with me when I go to work on the car. I will try and update with some pictures this week.

This has turned out to be more of project then I anticipated, but being on the board and seeing all the other projects that are going on around here keeps me inspired! Thanks guys!

I will be getting rid of the '73 tii shell in a couple (or few) months. If anyone is interested in it shoot me over an email. I'd rather not send it to the crusher :(

• 1 month later...

I worked on the motor today and had the 215/50 tires mounted on the rims. Just for kicks I put them on the car and taped up the flares to see how it will look. the 215 will fit very nicely.

Sorry for the night shot, it was pretty late before I took the pic.

post-1228-13667567736181_thumb.jpg

i'm sure there will always be surprises! let's just hope they aren't of the aforementioned nasty variety.

good move on the new shell, man. i'm approaching the bodywork part of my turkis project. i think i have 90% of the bondo and bad rust accounted for or repaired...but that last 10% always creeps up. fortunately sammy boy hooked me up with practically an entire shell of body parts, so i should have lots of metal to weld in, should i need it.

good luck, keep up the hard work!

'74 turkis 2002ti(-i)

Thanks! I was very lucky in finding a tii shell that was so close. The rust is very minimal and isn't structural like the strut towers. I'm sure someone could have repaired all the rust on the '73, but for the time and money going this route was a wise choice.. Ummm, although my wife may disagree ;)

I'm hoping to get some better pictures posted this week.

• 2 weeks later...

Well I hussled all weekend to make as much progress as I could.

- finished installing tranny

-connected driveshaft

-installed exhaust (all stamped with tii)

-finished connecting brakes

-rewired most of the engine bay, including rewiring coil

-finished battery relocation to trunk

-installed 320i radiator

-installed rear bumper

and a bunch of little things that always get you off track ;)

post-1228-13667568502785_thumb.jpg

post-1228-13667568503665_thumb.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

I was able to get to the front turbo flares last night and I am going to tackle the rears tonight. The motor is somewhat complete I need to get a larger fan belt to run the 320i alternator. I also need to finish wiring the electric fan, cold start valve and thermostat.

Almost there!

post-1228-13667569213135_thumb.jpg

post-1228-13667569214327_thumb.jpg

post-1228-13667569215397_thumb.jpg