• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Broken key stuck in the ignition.. what to do?

johnhup

Well the other day I went to start my car and the worst thing happened. I effortlessly turned the they key in the ignition and the head broke off, leaving the key stuck inside. Fortunately I could still start the car, but now I have no idea how to get it out.

Has anyone solved this problem before? I would like to get the key out without removing the ignition but I am not sure if that is even possible at this point.

Any ideas?

forum-sig.gif

e-mail...I'm at work and don't have time to write out the whole procedure...it isn't complicated, just time consuming and requires some care to keep from screwing things up. I've done it before successfully but you'll have to remove the lock cylinder from its housing.

BTW I'm working on a column that deals with ignition and door lock repair...

in the inerim...try this: take a thin stiff wire (like piano wire) and bend a tiny right angle hook on the end--no more than 2mm or so, and try to slip it under the key (on the straight side of the key, not the side with notches) until the hook gets beyond the end of the key...then twist it around until you feel it slip past the key and try pulling the key out.

Hope that works--it'll save you a lot of grief.

cheers

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

But, disconnect the battery ground before you stick a metal wire into anything.

Kind of suprising with the key being stuck, most of the cars I know are so worn that the keys want to fall out all the time.

Steve J

72 tii / 83 320is / 88 M3 / 08 MCS R55 / 12 MC R56

& too many bikes

I have had previous good luck removing a broken key in my front door with a fine pair of tweazers. If you have a friend in the medical field, a "snap" which is a small tweaser like device used in the OR with a grip end similar to a small pair of sissors, also works well. Good luck.

Simon

1974 Sahara '02, DD

turn your car sideways - and shake!

i'd try the the above mentioned superglue method, but use the top of the key, the part that broke in your hand, so that you have the correct surface to surface fit.

jsut make sure you dont superglue the key inside! just use a very very little bit! or maybe JB weld in place of superglue.

'70 project

I have had previous good luck removing a broken key in my front door with a fine pair of tweazers. If you have a friend in the medical field, a "snap" which is a small tweaser like device used in the OR with a grip end similar to a small pair of sissors, also works well. Good luck.

Simon

I've also heard them referred to as hemostats. They're like a pair of tweezers on one end, with scissor handles on the other, and a very handy lock so that you don't have to squeeze the whole time.

Copy & save this great write-up from Michel P:

Remove the underdash padding so you can see the bottom of the ignition switch/steering column lock. There is a "roll pin" there which secures the keyed portion of the lock. About a mm or so in diameter. Turn the key about 90 degrees, so the switch is in no particular position. Then drive the rolled pin in about 3mm. The keyed lock can then be removed. There is a slot in the cylinder which allows you to insert a small screwdriver (jewelers size) and push the pin out. This can also be done using a small LEFT HAND screw and screwing it into the rolled pin and pulling on it with a pliers or vise grip.

Snap on PPR4 is my weapon of choice. This is a "dimple punch" which will not distort the rolled pin.

The lock cylinder also can be modified by a competant locksmith to fit

your door key. If you fumbled the rolled pin or damage it you can use a small screw to hold it into the casting.

I've done this procedure dozens and dozens of times successfully. Often to remove a broken key or to have a key made for a cylinder. I can do the whole procedure, including dash panels in about 10 minutes in a parking lot at night. Doubt anyone can do a steering column that fast.

Circle Tire Co. (We don't sell tires)

Michel Potheau BMWCCA#0000002 BMW Club France #0000013