• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

anyone experience a car running extremely rich with 32/36

Benetton

CD's Prescription.

MY carb was overflowing with gas. the gas was pooiling on teh intake manifold and my whole car smelt like gas. We unplugged the secondary enrichment hole and went back to the original jets and now it doesnt leak but it is hesitant. Anyone else experience and switch to different jets? what jets are u running. FYI im at sealevel

Sometimes you're flush and sometimes you're bust, and when you're up, it's never as good as it seems, and when you're down, you never think you'll be up again, but life goes on

Gas pouring out of it like you say, is a sign of a stuck floater and needle valve. I'd open it up and clean it out, and make sure the little needle valve goes up and down when you jiggle the floater. That's probably your problem, it hapens on a motorcyle I have some when I don't use it much.

I had exactly the same issue only 24hrs ago. I was returning home when the car began to splutter. When I got home the carb pooled with gas. It was exactly as benetton said. The float valve was stuck open, I freed it made sure it moved cleanly (by blowing into the fuel inlet to test).

Cars fine now..

'Old Blu' the 1974 fjord BMW 2002.

"your my boy blu!"

not exact problem... my brand new CD jetted carb runs fine and has no signs of running very rich but my gas milage has been horrible... my old worn out stock jetted 32/36 got 20 in city and 25 on freeway. With my new setup I'm getting 11-13 around town and around 20 on freeway!! can't figure it out since everything is new and timed properly and running smooth. I am NOT running it harder either (as CD suggested). I'm about to reset the float and maybe start changing jets to see what's going on.

with your situation though... sounds like a stuck float... not the jetting

Rob

1966 Mustang vert - 5.0EFI/AOD & mods

1975 '02 - the typical upgrades (my 'new' car)

....and when the float needle valve becomes 'stuck' open -

it's usually because of krap in the fuel tank, rusty metal line,

causing crap or silt to deposit in the float bowl - or making the float needle jam. The same clogging of the idle and other jets is caused by fuel system krap. How is the gas filter ?

5108.jpg

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

yep...i bought "the new jets" last week and changed them out thinking i could eleminate the slight miss at idle and the car ran like crap and i couldn't lean it out at all

i change back to the original old jets and all's fine in my world again...

moral of the story...if it ain't broke....don't fix it

and like cd said just a few days ago..."...this means don't touch the jets till the BASICS are correct first"

i take that now to mean...if it's running alright...don't blow $40 Bucks and leave it alone