• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Another 2002 or an Alfa 2000 GTV

Indy76Fjord

go with a gtv.my heart is always with the 02. I'd say go with the gtv but really watch for the tin worm - rust is a killer. I hope to restore my gtv sometime too. The alfa board is a good resource - I think it's alfabb.com.

Not many gtvs around anymore even here in italy where I currently live.

Good luck

I'd go for the GTV. I've always thought they were the most beautiful and fun to drive-looking (never been in one) car in the GT/touring/small engine car range. That's definitely my next car/project.

Michael Rose

'91 Porsche 964
'00 Dodge Durango
'13 Honda Pilot

i have to admit: I have had 2 spiders and a GTV that went the way of the rust-- i got it when it was too far gone and I failed to bring her back.

teh two spiders are still clean and running well. an alfa is a great machine, and once I get my 02 clean and happy, I may just have to sell her and get another gtv - this time after I learned my rust lesson!

but don't get a 74, if possible try and find a 69 - that is the coolest looking inside and out of all the years - plus has the 1750 engine and often original dual webbers!

'70 project

I drove one about a month ago for the first time and it was a dream. I loved it. But I have to agree, my heart is with my 02. The GTV is much more of a cruiser saloon-type car.

The GTV had a completely rebuilt motor (injected and dual over-head cams may I remind you) and my 2002 is much more response and pulls harder. But man, I would still love to have one!

forum-sig.gif

parts are not so hard to get if you live in the SF bay area(maybe other metro areas are the same?). there are 2 full oem parts stores in the east bay, and an alfa salvage place out in Tracy. plus there is centerline and international for online shopping outside the area- and the aflabb. plus various alfa only shops

pound for pound its going to be more expensive, but you can get almost everything you need. some parts may have to be made depending upon the model.

If you like the 74 GTV, id also check out a JT Junior, a Giulia Sprint, and if you have just won the lottery, a GTA. I like the JT Junior for looks, its a step nose, without the dual headlights - smaller engine stock but upgradable- and you can still find some around sometimes! or import from australia or italy..

http://www.craigslist.org/sfc/car/144407454.html

http://www.craigslist.org/sfc/car/145575979.html

or get a Lancia! then you will really be cool!

http://www.craigslist.org/sfc/car/145243180.html

fix that up and you will be golden! i wish i could --

'70 project

There are a lot in Australia - once again, the Alfa was built in an era of cheap metal, and the bodies rust out pretty easy. If you are going to the trouble of getting a car from here, you may as well bring in a pearl rather than a shitbox.

You pay top dollar for a good one - dont quote me, but I'm thinking AUD30,000+ or about $22,000 - It really all depends on what you want to do, but they are quite popular here and you can no longer find cheapies.

There is one in my neighbourhood - it is navy blue with sandy color interior - it is a rocket - the guy has basically no exhaust and it sounds magic! I love the way the windscreen wipers go!

Good luck!

Todd

toddsig05.jpg