• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

yet more carb ?'s

esty

i finally got my 76 purring like a kitten again....well almost....

the 32/36 is running rich and the dude that helping can't lean it out anymore....after running it then inspecting the plugs, they're slightly wet with unburn'd gas and i'm seeing sooty exhaust

he's suggesting i run plugs that will provide more spark...would rejetting maybe eleminate the problem or allow us to tweak it properly or would different plugs take care of the problem...i have a set of, "not anything fancy" bosch plugs in it now

Try a hotter coil. When I put an accel super coil that I found on ebay w/ some new wires, I was able to get more spark and find a better lean setting, in the 32/36 carb. Might help some, but where is the mixture screw at now? All the way out, or all the way in? Should be some adjustment left maybe. You might want to check your air filter too. A new filter will give you more room to lean it out some.

Try a hotter coil. When I put an accel super coil that I found on ebay w/ some new wires, I was able to get more spark and find a better lean setting, in the 32/36 carb. Might help some, but where is the mixture screw at now? All the way out, or all the way in? Should be some adjustment left maybe. You might want to check your air filter too. A new filter will give you more room to lean it out some.

I've found there's a happy medium between--- it crunching into second while running at high RPMs in first when it' too rich---and more RPMs in first and Second, but the axl sorta jumping in the back. When I turn the idle mixture screw counter clockwise and back it out, I can get higer in the RPMs with out the car feeling like it's going to shake apart. Drive it around with a screw driver and trust your foot, and when you get it how you like it, tune it in very small increments. Have Fun

How many posts does it take... But it's been said a hundred times I guess one more won't hurt...

Buy the Haynes Weber Tuning Book.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/156392157X/sr=8-1/qid=1143044551/ref=pd_bbs_1/104-4227462-6819952?%5Fencoding=UTF8

Carbs are somewhat more art than science, despite their sole purpose to deliver a precise mixture of fuel and air (sounds scientific doesn't it?).

----------------

BigDog

'76 2002 Weber DCOE 40s (Formerly 32/36)

Buy the Haynes Weber Tuning Book.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/156392157X/sr=8-1/qid=1143044551/ref=pd_bbs_1/104-4227462-6819952?%5Fencoding=UTF8

Carbs are somewhat more art than science, despite their sole purpose to deliver a precise mixture of fuel and air (sounds scientific doesn't it?).

----------------

BigDog

'76 2002 Weber DCOE 40s (Formerly 32/36)

thanks bigdog and for the record...i ordered from amazon and got the book you mention'd above...

156392157X.01._AA240_SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

but quickly found out that you must have some knowledge and not be a compolete mechanical retard like me before it's much help

one thing i've been pondering the re-jetting everyone's always recommending ...are the jets mark'd, so if i removed them i can tell what i now have?...i'd hate to order jets only to find some or all are what i already have installed

Hopefully float adjustment and not what happens to me all too often. I've learned that fuel filters do very little filtering. My ford tractor had twin sediment bowl style filters (much better than in line) but they still allowed enough solids to pass through and keep the needle valve open and overflow the float bowl. Had to have the fuel tank cleaned at radiator shop to cure it. Also happened on several of my british cars. When you remove top of carb is the bowl staying clean?

Yeah, all the jets are marked.

sometimes in really tiny characters. Often the characters aren't stamped in too deep so they can be really hard to read. I used to be able to read most of 'em ok, but as advancing age tweaks my eyesight I find I need a magnifing glass fairly often to be sure I'm reading sizes correctly.

BTW, Fiat 124's used Weber carbs from the same family as 32/36's and 38/38's, so if you run across any Fiat 124s in Pick & Pull type yards, you may be able to expand your jet selection on the cheap.........

Barry Allen
'69 Sunroof - sold
'82 E21 (daily driver), '82 633CSi (wife's driver) - both sold
66 Chevy Nova wagon (yard & parts hauler)

jsut adding my voice to the float/needle - make sure thats all within spec before you go buy anything new. you may just have to bend the clip a few milimeters and all your problems will go away.

i had the pin that holds pulls the needle back down when the float goes up break (and disappear?? somewhere into the engine??) and i went from a nice ride to black backfires and gas pouring all over my poor engine.

thats not what you got, but you could have something stuck in there, or the pin is too loose, - make sure its all ncie and slides eaassily etc etc

'70 project

Esty,

Like I said, there's some "art" to the whole equation as well. Jets are marked, but you'd better have a good set of reading glasses! (At least that's what people my age use).

Did you do the "plug the passage" CD Prescription? I have tried that in the past (originally a TEP reccomendation) and found that I could not lean out the carb appropriately under that situation. I wouldn't personally reccomend that approach.

When dealing with jetting, pay close attention to the idle, progression, and WOT implications. Changing one applies accross some areas, and not others. I've found personally that adjusting Idle jets has the greatest overall affect in terms of lean-ness. Often an off-idle stumble is a result of too lean a condition in idle into progression.

And of course, your choke settings are critical. Nothing will make a carb run fat like a mal adjusted choke!

I would reccomend finding a good jetting source near by, and someplace that will work with you on trading jets around. You really don't want to own a whole slug of jets unless you're planning on moving back and forth from Colorado (mile high).

Good luck, it just takes time and feel to get the art moving in the direction of hard science.

------------

BigDog

'76 2002 Weber DCOE40s Jetting always tweaking for optimal!