• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

5 speed installation question...

Mike Self

I spent most of Sat and Sun afternoon transferring dirt and grease from my 5 speed case to my hands (sucessfully: tranny, clean; hands, dirty).

As I was cleaning the 5 speed reverse switch, it occurred to me...is there enough room for the switch to clear the tunnel's underside, or should I bend the two switch terminals so that they're horizontal? And do I need to clip the reverse wiring harness extension to the tranny case so it doesn't get pinched or crimped? My five speed came with two little clips to hold the reverse llight wiring...

TIA

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

My back up light switch worked fine. wires did not touch tunnel.

But where the wire clip, attaches on passenger side on top of tranny, there is a small portion of the tranny that sticks out. It was rubbing on the steel brake lines at the top of the tunnel. I took out tranny and ground off the area with a grinder. Then, I did not use any clips on my wires. Wires did have to be extented by about 6 inches to reach the switch. Be sure to connect wires and install clutch slave before you jack tranny into place.

Be sure to check front seal of tranny before you install it by turning the front of input shaft with an electric drill. Mine leaked from the seal housing. I used locktite gasket eliminator to seal the metal to metal contact and used no gasket.

that rubs the brake line? My tranny is sitting on my garage floor; I'm armed and dangerous with a grinding wheel-equipped Dremel tool in my hand...

Thanx

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

My spot was on the passenger side of tranny right where the wire clip attached to the top of the tranny. There was a slight protrusion from the casting that the wire clip attached to. Sorry I don't have a picture of it.

Iwas was closer to rear of the tranny than the front. On the top edge.

due to the rubbing in the same spot. When he discovered the leak, he plugged it with a screw and clamped it, drove home with front brakes.

Tiger, can you point out the spot on the attached pic?

tranny3.jpg

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5

Rubbing the brake line? In my case, the brake line runs on the LEFT upper side of the tranny tunnel(looking at it when your laying down under the car, your head facing the rear). Bill, for some unknown reason the casing on your tranny is different than the casing I have. I dont see the spot that needs to be grinded. BTW, I didn't do it and it seems to be fine...

Robert in NJ
73 2002 (Verona)

72 2002tii (Verona)

that rubs the brake line? My tranny is sitting on my garage floor; I'm armed and dangerous with a grinding wheel-equipped Dremel tool in my hand...

Thanx

mike

the wide spot on the top horizontal rib outboard of the 3rd-5th transverse top ribs (counting front to back) - that's the spot where the clip has been mounted on most of the 5 speeds I've pulled. Before installing my 5 speed, I ground the wide spot down paralell with the rest of the horizontal rib, and have had no interference problems.......

Barry Allen
'69 Sunroof - sold
'82 E21 (daily driver), '82 633CSi (wife's driver) - both sold
66 Chevy Nova wagon (yard & parts hauler)

Hours of cleaning with every costic chemical I had. primed it and used Eastwoods AlumaBlast.

Did the same on the yellow little car and it holding up well too

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5