• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

5-speed driveshaft details --Visio drawing-- Accurate? -Edit

jgerry2002

In my four hour support call tonight I had time to create a Visio drawing detailing how to shorten the driveshaft for the 5-speed conversion.

This is just the front half of the driveshaft.

I spoke with a well known vendor, he said they shorten theirs by 3.1" with the 320i flange. 3.6" would be accurate with the 4 bolt flange. He said the 320i flange is .5" thicker.

Let me know if this sounds right and let me know if my math is off.

A few comments for clarification added.

Thanks.

post-69-13667562646297_thumb.jpg

-Justin
--
'76 02 (USA), '05 Toyota Alphard (Tokyo) - http://www.bmw2002.net

one used on the 2002...I think the drawing is referring to the flaneg thickness, not the guibo itself...

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

You are correct on the thickness and on the new length.

And, before you have the drive shaft worked on, put a reference mark back on the middle joint and tell the shop how long you want the end result to be from the reference mark. If you tell them to shorten by x amount, that x amount will be on the shop floor and you won't know if the finished drive shaft is the correct length.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

You are correct on the thickness and on the new length.

And, before you have the drive shaft worked on, put a reference mark back on the middle joint and tell the shop how long you want the end result to be from the reference mark. If you tell them to shorten by x amount, that x amount will be on the shop floor and you won't know if the finished drive shaft is the correct length.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

I believe you should mount tranny and mount diff in the middle of the bolt holes and then measure the flange to flange distance before you shorten driveshaft. That worked for me. Then when first tranny was bad I installed a second 5 speed. Then the shortened driveshaft was not an exact match.. I had to loosen the diff bolts and slide it forward 1/16 inch. Not much but I would have thougt it would have fit exactly.

Thanks JimK for the comment, I added it to the drawing.

Also, I clarified things a little.

If there are any other comments feel free.

We probably ought to post this to the 5-speed FAQ.

You should be able to come up with a standard distance to shorten things by. All 4-speed shafts are built to a specification, so 5-speed should be no different. I believe many shops take a loose approach to shortening it which causes a problem. 4-bolt flange vs. 3 bolt also causes issues.

-Justin
--
'76 02 (USA), '05 Toyota Alphard (Tokyo) - http://www.bmw2002.net