• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

UPDATE: My 02 is RUNNING NOW!!!!

rho

After about a 3 year absence (engine blown)... I put in a new(used) motor last weekend and finally got it started last night...

Started up and I just had to adjust the timing and idle by ear and it's running fine now.

One question, there seems to be a burnt/fuel/carbon smell that my clothes absorb after I drive it... is it running too lean?

This has been sitting in my garage for 3 years... now it will enjoy the fresh air!

02_01.jpg

02_02.jpg

02_03.jpg

02_04.jpg

02_05.jpg

02_06.jpg

71 2002

90 E30 M3

99 E39 528i

Beautiful car. I am jealous.

If you spent so much time on the car, please take the time to use a timing light and a tach to tune it. Trust me it will be worth it. The smell you described does sound like it might be a little lean, but if you smell them on your clothes after you drive, that is bad. That suggests an exhaust leak and it is very bad for the interior of your car. You can get Carbon Monoxide poisoning that way.

Make sure you check for exhaust leaks very important.

Congrats on the car it is really nice.

light to no color - too lean

black and sooty - too rich or other fuel/oil problems

caramel color - just right

timing can affect lean/rich condition as well as air/fuelcalibration

"90% of your carb problems are in the ignition, Mike."

1972 2000tii Touring #3422489

1972 2002tii with A4 system #2761680

FAQ member #5

Thx for the compliment... It'll take awhile for me to get use to driving the car (no power steering, close ration steering box, small steering wheel, CR tranny (forgot where reverse was) and a STIFF ride... it makes my E30 M3 feel like a Lincoln Town car.

Here is a pic of my header... the red circle indicates seams where the tubes just slide in. It was my understanding that when the header gets hot these seams tighten up. I'm I wrong, and shoud I get them welded?

Thanks,

Robert

header2.jpg

71 2002

90 E30 M3

99 E39 528i

Guest Anonymous

Waiting for heat to expand that pipe and make a perfect seal, well I wouldnt wait for it. that joint should be welded or another type of inline clamp setup.

Sam

Thx for the kind words everyone... This motor is just an interim motor until I can get my other one rebuilt. It smokes on accel but at least the car drives now :)

One thing I realized is that I am driving it now with 3 year old GAS....

needless to say it pings at full accell so I am driving it VERY slow until I can fill it with new gas... tank is about 70% full.... :(

71 2002

90 E30 M3

99 E39 528i

On the slip fit of my headers on my '68 Camaro, I used the orange Permatex sealer on the female end. I just spread around a 1/8 inch bead about a 1/2 inch from the opening. I then slipped in the mail end and secured the tabs. It seals just fine and the moisture in the exhaust does'nt squirt out due to backpressure.

Cris

Thx for the compliment... It'll take awhile for me to get use to driving the car (no power steering, close ration steering box, small steering wheel, CR tranny (forgot where reverse was) and a STIFF ride... it makes my E30 M3 feel like a Lincoln Town car.

Here is a pic of my header... the red circle indicates seams where the tubes just slide in. It was my understanding that when the header gets hot these seams tighten up. I'm I wrong, and shoud I get them welded?

Thanks,

Robert

header2.jpg

Proud member #113

The rides!

www.cardomain.com/ride/792851

www.cardomain.com/ride/792793