• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

anyone recall who had the leather covered dash??

BLUNT

i thought it was ole in norway or wherever he is but i cant see it on his turbo sight. i have a guy that wants to do mine for the cost of leather to see if its feasible. anyone have any comments on this? any downsides to a leather dash?

www.BluntTech.com
FAQ Supporting Vendor
 Sales@BluntTech.com

i thought it was ole in norway or wherever he is but i cant see it on his turbo sight. i have a guy that wants to do mine for the cost of leather to see if its feasible. anyone have any comments on this? any downsides to a leather dash?

If I'm not mistaken, BMW tried leather dashes on the L6 (and L7?) and stopped doing it because of all the problems they had. I remember seeing some of those cars after they were three or four years old and the dashes looked like crap. Cracked, shrunk, coming apart. I'm assuming vinyl is much more durable for that application, and since you don't have to sit on a dash it doesn't have to be comfortable. 8-)

Maybe a leather covered dash would do fine with limited exposure to ultra-violets and temperature changes.

Dan

(BTW, I received the oil pan. A HUGE thanks! ;-)

Dan's right. BMW used leather dashes in the L6, M6, and E28 M5. I've seen a lot of them still in great shape, but they had all kinds of problems with the leather shrinking, which resulted in a massive recall campaign, and most were eventually replaced with vinyl. Having said that, up there in Minnesoter, you're probably going to be fine. I think most of the problems resulted from sun exposure on daily drivers.

Al

67 1600

77 630csi

81 323i

68 VW Bug

06 Volvo V50

Good day Steve,

I had it done on my now sold E28 M5. I had the shop do it in Vinyl or also called Leatherette (I believe). In fact I'm about to do it in the next month to my 02. I'll probably use the same stuff. I think that the Vinyl can take the heat better than the leather over time.

Did you have any luck with the Super Oscar rings?

Kind regards

Jan

thanks for the info. i think im going to send me dash down to this guy and let him have at it. my car will be a fair weather car anyway and be garaged and covered when not being driven. i emailed that dude on the rings the same day you gave me that link but havent heard back yet. maybe i should try again. thanks

www.BluntTech.com
FAQ Supporting Vendor
 Sales@BluntTech.com