• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

crack driver side front subframe got me

bey

. ...IF IT'S JUST A 1/4" - 1/2" IN LENGTH -

just moitor it and wait till it really grows

to be of concern. Any gauge clean metal welded over the crack and gusseting is good . Important part is cleaning to bare metal and

checking the repaired bracket for clearance with the steering box

and mount .

31-7331858.JPG

'86 R65 650cc #6128390 22,000m
'64 R27 250cc #383851 18,000m
'11 FORD Transit #T058971 28,000m "Truckette"
'13 500 ABARTH #DT600282 6,666m "TAZIO"

I would recomend no thinner than 16 gauge. Also before you weld over the crack Drill one small whole at the end of each crack, this will prevent the crack from spreading out from under your patch.

Trying to buy back my

75 Sahara

Pertronix, 9.5:1, 294, 40mm Solex, 5 speed, MSD

The best reinforcement is to modify the mount from a u channel (in cross-section) to a box section. The reason this one cracks is that it restrains the rocking motion of the motor and flexes first in compression then in tension.

The inclination to weld straps up and down the sides of the channel don't place enough strength in the right spot.

A simple formed plate across the open side of the channel adds much strength in the flexing area. Martin's site may have something on it, as we have fixed at least two this way.

If Marin's site doesn't have a photo, I have one.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

I recently reinforced two cracked subframes by welding a small metal plate approximately 1/8inch thick as shown in the first photo. I used a small jigsaw to rough out the piece then molded it with a ball pien hammer and file.

As it took approximately 30 years (and 150K miles or more) for the crack to grow approximately 3/8 inch I considered the stresses low. This plate transmits the bending stress as shear loading across the newly placed weld bead.

Note: the engine mount was originally fabricated from a steel stamping. The edges were not chamfered (beveled) and thus consisted of a rather sharp edge which is VERY suseptible to crack initiation and subsequent crack growth.

If you have the opportunity I strongly recommend that you take a file or stone (sandpaper will work too) to the edge of the engine mount and lightly dress the edge to remove the burr. IF and I stress IF a crack hasn't initiated, this will serve to extend the cycles to crack initiation.

post-260-13667560190454_thumb.jpg

post-260-13667560192679_thumb.jpg

Former owner of 2570440 & 2760440
Current owner of 6 non-op 02's

& 1 special alfa