• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Steering box play

Is this normal play for the end of the pitman arm with the steering box at the end of the steering range or is my steering box in bad shape? If it’s not apparent in the video, this is the steering box pitman arm with the center link removed. I am going to try adjust via the blue book steering box procedure this time (got a couple threads left above the lock nut) but I am wondering if this thing is just fubar already. 

When I swapped out my 73's steering box at 267k miles due to excessive leakage (overnight!) and dismantled the old one, I was surprised as to how little wear there was inside.  A general cleanup and new seals and it was ready for another 100k or so miles.  Turns out the looseness in my steering was due to a worn center track rod.  

I did a column on dismantling and going through an 02 steering box; PM me if you'd like a copy.

mike

• Like 2

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

9 minutes ago, Mike Self said:

When I swapped out my 73's steering box at 267k miles due to excessive leakage (overnight!) and dismantled the old one, I was surprised as to how little wear there was inside.  A general cleanup and new seals and it was ready for another 100k or so miles.  Turns out the looseness in my steering was due to a worn center track rod.  

I did a column on dismantling and going through an 02 steering box; PM me if you'd like a copy.

mike

Yeah, my center track rod is pretty roached. A new Moog from Blunttech is ready to go on. I am taking the opportunity while the pitman arm is separated to do the blue book procedure that requires it being off. I’ll PM you. 

• Like 1

The steering box is only tight right at center- as you go off- center, it becomes loose.

It's a design compromise.  Run some caster...

t

• Like 1

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

5 hours ago, TobyB said:

The steering box is only tight right at center- as you go off- center, it becomes loose.

It's a design compromise.  Run some caster...

t

gotta love the ole worm gear steering box. A rack and pinion kit would be nice…

...but you'd need to redesign the whole front suspension for it to work correctly.

t

• Like 3

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL