• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Vent window alignment

All,

I am continuing to sort my 74Tii.  The good news is that the problems are getting smaller.

The next issue is with the drivers side vent window.  The window is too tight at the top trailing edge (looks OK at the bottom of the trailing edge) and will not completely shut without coaxing from the outside by pulling at the small upper hinge and pushing it in.  The result is that when you go to open it, it is "trapped" in the frame and the regulator cannot open it without first unseating it manually.  I am assuming the entire frame has been out of the car previously for restoration efforts.  The main window is aligned and works smoothly.  Compared to the passenger side, the frame looks identical and unmolested in any way.  Is there a way to adjust the position of the vent in its frame?  Nothing looks obvious.

I have perused the tech forums and searched the forums without luck.  Thanks in advance for any insights.

IMG_2576.jpeg

IMG_2577.jpeg

I suspect something--like the vent window frame--was bent sometime in the car's life.  It's unlikely that the vent window itself was bent, or that tempered glass would have shattered.  Those frames are surprisingly easy to bend--the aluminum is pretty soft.  

Short of finding another frame, your best bet would be to carefully bend the upper part of the frame back out until it matches the curve of the vent  window itself.  You might be able to do it in the car, but you're taking a chance on breaking one of the attachment points down at the frame's other end.

That's all I've got.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Compare sealings left & right side at hinge side. Looks some weaving in picture. Might hinder movement in the end of closing. Also hinge pin might be bent.

2002 -73 M2, 2002 -71 forced induction. bnr32 -91

Did you do any work on the window recently?  Is this a new problem?  I know when I put my windows back together, it was a little tricky getting the rubber buffer that is placed directly on the glass to set right, and allow the glass to fit in the frame at the correct angle.  If any of these fits are anything but just right, the glass may sit cocked and cause your situation.

Karl B.

1974 2002tii Malaga ("Conrad") -->> Conrad's Restoration Blog

2003 330i ZHP 6-spd

2011 328i xDrive

Thanks for the replies so far.  I have not done any work on the windows but it is clear as I work my way through the car that it was pretty far apart at some point.  I am fairly sure most gaskets have been replaced as well.  Also, the drivers window regulator has been replaced so I am assuming the window frame has been off of the door at some point.  The glass in the vent frame looks correct and seated fine.  I do not think the vent glass has ever been removed.  I am focusing on the upper hinge and am doing some measurements on the aluminum frame.  I was just out looking at it again and noticed the small rivets that attach the upper hinge look kind of loose.  That would certainly contribute to the issue.  Right now I am thinking I may remove everything and reinstall per the recommendations on the site.

I pulled the window and frame.  It turns out the rivets had both "elongated" over time and were allowing the upper hinge to move aft just enough to create an interference.  Per someone else's post, I drilled out the rivets and replaced them.  Fished work is below.  All is right with the world...

IMG_2589.jpg

• Like 4