• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Gearbox cap

Hi guys,

After clutch job, it's missing a kind of plastic cap that was installed before next to the place where the gearbox meets the engine. Attached previous photos of the missing part. Anyone knows what is this for? Should I find a replacement part? What is the part number?

Many thanks.

Screenshot_20240414_145342_Dropbox.jpg

Screenshot_20240414_145330_Dropbox.jpg

Screenshot_20240414_145401_Dropbox.jpg

Screenshot_20240414_145421_Dropbox.jpg

Hard to tell from the picture, but does the plug cover the hole that you sight through to see the timing mark ball on the flywheel?  If so, I'll have to admit I've never seen a plug in that hole, and that's after seeing a bunch of 2002s, including the one I bought new. 

I suspect someone added it --unless that's covering another hole.

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

1 minute ago, Mike Self said:

Hard to tell from the picture, but does the plug cover the hole that you sight through to see the timing mark ball on the flywheel?  If so, I'll have to admit I've never seen a plug in that hole, and that's after seeing a bunch of 2002s, including the one I bought new. 

I suspect someone added it --unless that's covering another hole.

mike

The car is a 1502 full original with 4 speed transmission.

The hole is this one:

20240414_151405.jpg

Yep, that's the sighting hole to locate TDC and the timing mark (ball) set in the flywheel.  It's possible that a cap was installed on Euro cars, but I've never seen one on a US spec 02.

mike

• Like 1

Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

In the US the lazy mechanics did not replaced them after a timing adjustment.

Examine my car for you it you've never seen one.

One year, I volunteered mine to use in the tech quiz at the MidAmerica02fest and I don't think anyone else knew what it was for.

PLUG 01.JPG

PLUG 02.JPG

PLUG 03.JPG

PLUG 06.JPG

• Like 4

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

Interesting...I know for a fact that my '69 never had one, as I remember looking down the timing ball hole shortly after buying the car new.  I had read the owners manual (!) which had a picture of the hole and the timing ball, and having never seen such a setup, had to see it for myself.  Since I bought my '73 when it was 5 years old, I can't vouch that it didn't come with one from the factory, but it sure wasn't on the car when I bought it from the original owner.  

But it has a part number:  23 11 1 200 477.  Learn something new every day on these cars!

mike 

I found the plug to be difficult to remove and in an awkward location to reach.  I've always had to use a thin blade screwdriver to pry it up a bit then grab it with a reach tool to pull it out.  Could even be more of a tight location to get to on a Tii.  So my assumption is once a mechanic had it out, he didn't like the struggle and didn't replace the plug.

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.