• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Coil-fused

Recently my 1973 2002tii started running extremely rough out of nowhere, barely idling, sputtering while revving, and frequently dying at idle. It just so happened to occur 10 minutes after getting gas, so that’s my #1 suspect right now. Waiting on a siphon to arrive to get all of the gas out, but in the meantime I wanted to check down all of the other potential culprits and do a little spring cleaning while it was down. Things I’ve checked so far;

-Fuel pickup micron screen. It was in pretty good shape, still cleaned it but appeared to be relatively new as well as the gas tank itself, very little sediment. 

-KF Pump screen on banjo bolt in front of KF pump. Looked good as well, still cleaned and replaced. 
-Distributor cap and rotor. Rotor looked a little worn down, light sand on all the points and reinstalled. I ordered new ones that should arrive this week.

-Checked all plugs, looked a little black but good overall, and figured it was largely due to limping it home while it was running so bad. Still ordered new ones along with plug wires that appeared good, but never replaced in my time so good to cross off list.

-Main fuel filter located at nose. Ordered a new one for good measure knowing bad gas is my #1 suspect right now. 

-Visually inspected fuses, ground wires, and then got to coil and wiring and this is where I got confused…

PO has a Crane Cams XR3000 ignition wired to what I found was a “Standard Motor Company” coil with 1303 stamped on it. This seems like a pretty generic universal coil, and something I’d like to get in front of and replace, but I have no idea what to replace it with. I’ve read a lot of the FAQ’s on the different coils, some requiring resistors, some not, but not anything related to when this Crane Cams ignition is in place. The coil states it requires an external resistor, but I haven’t located one. Even if I wanted to replace it with the exact coil or have for backup, I cannot find the exact 1303 coil available new. I’d honestly like to move away from that back to a brand more suited for the car but I cannot figure out which one would work given my exact setup. All help would be greatly appreciated! 

IMG_9382.jpeg

IMG_9380.jpeg

IMG_9381.jpeg

IMG_9377.jpeg

IMG_9379.jpeg

Can’t help with the coil but…

Does it die bc too much or too little fuel? 
Check cold start valve - does it leak?

Fuel pressure - from  el.pump to kf unit. Is it enough?

And the classic: engine earth cable(s) & points.

Oh and don’t zip tie anything to ignition leads. That’s asking for trouble.

Edited by tzei

2002 -73 M2, 2002 -71 forced induction. bnr32 -91

53 minutes ago, tzei said:

Can’t help with the coil but…

Does it die bc too much or too little fuel? 
Check cold start valve - does it leak?

Fuel pressure - from  el.pump to kf unit. Is it enough?

And the classic: engine earth cable(s) & points.

Oh and don’t zip tie anything to ignition leads. That’s asking for trouble.

Thank you for the tips!

I think the crane box wants a zero resistance coil. To find out what you have you need to measure the resistance. Any zero resistance coil will work.

You can find the instructions for the xr3000 on Google.

I always suspect the in-tank screen for the fuel intake in the bottom of the tank.  Been there done that.

'73tii Inka 🍊

'74tii Fjord 🏄‍♂️