• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Thanks for these posts.  I have a 91 318is, and my Bentley manual has essentially nothing about the M42 motor, or those subtle differences between M42-equipped 318's and M20-equipped 325s.  My car is currently running just fine, but I'm sure that eventually it's gonna start misbehaving, so especially appreciate all those fault codes.  

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

3 hours ago, Mike Self said:

Thanks for these posts.  I have a 91 318is, and my Bentley manual has essentially nothing about the M42 motor, or those subtle differences between M42-equipped 318's and M20-equipped 325s.  My car is currently running just fine, but I'm sure that eventually it's gonna start misbehaving, so especially appreciate all those fault codes.  

mike

You need the e36 Bentley or Chilton manual to have M42/M44 coverage. I’ll never understand why Bentley didn’t include complete coverage for the 91 318is.

• Like 1

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

• 2 weeks later...

(if you  have any technical questions about this issue please look through my previous posts i have uploaded all the service manuals for the m42 i can find , before you dm me ) 

I made this really easy just click the tag m42swap all one word  not two different/ separate words