• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Has anyone seen an exhaust like this?

So I bought a '76 from CA last year, and I'm in the process of replacing the transmission.

When driving it last summer it felt just bogged down, like it did not want to rev. The engine has been rebuilt recently, FYI.

The exhaust has three components as shown in the photos, one of which looks like a small cat... has anyone seen one like this? Could it be holding back the engine a bit?

My thoughts are to replace it with an Ireland Engineering SS version to let it breath better.

IMG_3782.jpeg

IMG_3783.jpeg

IMG_3784.jpeg

The stock exhaust breathes just fine on a stock engine.  I'd just cut the cat out and replace it with a piece of pipe.  (I've never seen a catalytic converter installed on a 2002).

Tom

EDIT-- it might actually be cheaper/easier to simply replace the down pipe.  Rock Auto has an ANZA pipe for fifty bucks.

Edited by '76mintgrün'02
  • Like 2

Yeah, huh- like Tom,  I sure have seen an exhaust like that, but never on a 2002.  Especially on one with a carb.

If it is indeed a catalytic converter, and the car doesn't have an EFI conversion with at least one oxygen sensor,

it runs a fair chance of being slagged.  Hell, even the one on my '84 NissanDatsun Stanza eventually melted itself,

and that thing had an EFI system that was, in theory, designed for the engine and the converter.

If it's just a resonator with a cover, though, it's not your problem.

If you can thump the can (not the heat shield) you can tell by sound and feel if it's got catalytic material in it.

or heck, just shine a light in there and see if you see a grid, since you have it unhooked.

It'll be very obvious.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

'76 California cars had a thermal reactor. Since they are no longer available (new) some folks just added a small cat to control the HC emissions. However, with a carb they didn't last long ... due to unprecise A/F control.

'76 49-state exhaust manifolds can be substituted for the thermal reactor if the EGR system is plumbed. 49-state cars had a #5 cam instead of EGR.