• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

How hard is it to have door handles keys made?

Go to solution Solved by '76mintgrün'02,

Both of my door handles do not turn using the ignition key, all I have for the car is an ignition and a trunk key both of which work for the car. My door handle assemblies look nice but with the ignition key inserted do not turn at all. How hard is it to have a new key made for the handles? Is it possible to have a locksmith redo the tumblers so it works with the ignition key?

Did the cars come with a separate key for the trunk or can I also have the trunk redone to work with the ignition key?

Answer is no you need 2 keys, one for doors and ignition and the other for the trunk.

Edited by lunarkingdom

• Solution

Some people have had success removing wafers in the lock, to make it less fussy about which key is used.

Originally, the door locks and ignition cylinder had a number, which tells a locksmith how to grind the keys to fit.  You could dig into the door and steering column to see if the little stickers are still there.

Here's a good thread I just searched-up that discusses making keys fit.

Here are some more

https://www.bmw2002faq.com/search/?q=lock removing wafers&quick=1&type=forums_topic&nodes=8

Yes, the trunk key is different than the ignition/door key.  I don't recall any threads about making one key do ignition/doors/trunk.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, '76mintgrün'02 said:

I don't recall any threads about making one key do ignition/doors/trunk.

I think there was a discussion recently where two folks said they had their trunk changed /re-keyed to the ignition key…

…here:

https://www.bmw2002faq.com/forums/topic/334617-which-boot-key

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Where we goin’? … I’ll drive…
There are some who call me... Tom too         v i s i o n a u t i k s.com   

Oh yeah, I skimmed that thread and now see where jp5Touring said his key fit both the trunk and doors.  According to this info from that thread, the door/ignition key shouldn't fit into the trunk cylinder, based on the end-profile; suggesting it is not as simple as filing some trunk lock wafers to match the door locks.

image.png.64e9a74eeabac1d909916b81402638ca.png

This illustration is misleading though, because the ignition and door key are the same, not the door and trunk key.

Details, details.

Tom

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

I had this issue when I bought my car. I bought an extra set of wafers, pulled the door locks, yanked all the wafers, and rebuilt the locks to work with the ignition key. Only 1 or 2 required filing, otherwise it was fairly easy. Maybe it took me an hour or two?  I think I was done before Twister ended. 

“Where’s my truck?”

*smash*

”There it is…”

That Honcho getting smashed always makes me sad. 

• Like 1

Okay, I do things my own sorta way so it's not always what is for everyone. You can take the door lock mechanism out of the handle. Insert the key of choice-like the ignition key. With the key inserted, the brass "wafers" as stated above will either stick up or not. You can move them around to better make the key fit. Also if a wafer or two still sticks up, just grind it down flush with the housing.  

NOTE: if you remove the wafers be very careful of the microscopic spring in there, it likes to evaporate.  

see tagline below. 

Edited by conkitchen
  • Like 3
  • Haha 1

But what do I know

8 hours ago, conkitchen said:

Okay, I do things my own sorta way so it's not always what is for everyone. You can take the door lock mechanism out of the handle. Insert the key of choice-like the ignition key. With the key inserted, the brass "wafers" as stated above will either stick up or not. You can move them around to better make the key fit. Also if a wafer or two still sticks up, just grind it down flush with the housing.  

NOTE: if you remove the wafers be very careful of the microscopic spring in there, it likes to evaporate.  

see tagline below. 

I almost went that route. It reduces the overall security of the lock, but I’m not convinced it actually matters. Not like the original is a Swiss bank vault.  I think I kind of wanted the project, I like taking stuff apart and learning about it.  That said, I like your style. 

image.gif.668c52e92ebbf3a02f0b6e088289daf9.gif

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

No keys at all to my car, my locksmith failed at the codes using 2 different machines for handles and trunk.  He got one right for the ignition. I ordered 3 keys from Aussie land at keys4Classics.com arriving today so we will see, $44 min plus shipping. I took out two tumblers for the dr side door and was gonna check the other 2 pass handles I have to see if they are close. So…

Edited by NMDerek
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Lucky 7 said:

I almost went that route. It reduces the overall security of the lock, but I’m not convinced it actually matters. Not like the original is a Swiss bank vault.  I think I kind of wanted the project, I like taking stuff apart and learning about it.  That said, I like your style. 

image.gif.668c52e92ebbf3a02f0b6e088289daf9.gif

man i tried to dothis with the trunk lock and boy that circlip is fun. uncrimping the housing I was able to move out some tumblers but crimping it to put it back in was causing it not to spring back fully, I wonder if there is a tool that does that better than what I had.

• Like 1

On 1/21/2024 at 8:27 AM, lunarkingdom said:

Both of my door handles do not turn using the ignition key, all I have for the car is an ignition and a trunk key both of which work for the car.

The ignition key should work in the doors. If it doesn’t something’s wrong and I wouldn’t try rekeying, but instead find the root of the problem. 
Either your door locks were changed and their key is gone, which a locksmith could probably sort for you. 
more likely your door locks are gummed up and stuck. It’s not unusual for people to spray the wrong ‘lubricants’ into the key hole, ultimately making it sticky and gummed up. 
Tumbler could also be broken. My sons e30 had that problem. There’s a rebuild kit for the e30 tumbler. He did that, discovering one of the tumblers had gone missing. Then proceeded to  fixe it with the rebuild kit. He had to reverse engineer what that missing tumbler had to be lol.  
I’d start with taking the handle out and cleaning the lock cylinder and tumblers. 

• Like 1

2003 e39 M5 (daily)

1986 e30 325es (sons car)

1972 2002tii (fun daily alternative)

32 minutes ago, '76mintgrün'02 said:

Hi Pablo,

I noticed you just clicked this emoji.

image.png.236bce2ffdb068b5d3e06e778a772685.png

What is it that you find confusing about my post above.  I'd be happy to clarify, if I can. 

Tom

The diagram seemed incorrect, as you noted. The ign/door are same key, not door/trunk. The diagram is confused lol. 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2003 e39 M5 (daily)

1986 e30 325es (sons car)

1972 2002tii (fun daily alternative)