• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Electrical issues...

fst2002
Go to solution Solved by John76,

Hey Guys... so 7 years ago I dismantled my car for a quick rebuild... everything worked then! lol!!! while I have a few other things like blower motor etc, most I can figure out but two I think I'm on right track but trouble shooting electric is not a strong point...

1.) Turn signals`... All lights are new and just installed LED in rear. left side turn signal works perfectly but the right not so much. Flasher is new and 3 wire change out. When I turn flashers on everything works as it should but in blinker / turn signal mode nope! Went to fuse box. flashes on right nothing on left. Little doohickey in column is set to tolerance as per book. I have purchased a broken one to see if I could use it to understand it and maybe re-whatever it to work without success. I'm leaning to column turn signal stalk... thoughts...

2.) Parking lights... get power to left side no power to right.... put a test light on switch in dash ... it looks like both the left and right are opposite each other, ( I have not physically taken out switch yet just gauge cluster ) I would think they would be on same terminal...

I have tried to explain as best I can... Looking for a jar of 2 cent pieces thrown in here!

Thganks

Pete

Edited by fst2002
typing error

The BMW 2002 US VIN 2578838 was manufactured on September 28th, 1971 and delivered on
October 05th, 1971 to BMW Concessionaires G.B. Ltd. in Brighton/Sussex. The original
colour was Riviera, paint code 036

2 hours ago, fst2002 said:

I'm leaning to column turn signal stalk... thoughts...

Pull the turn signal switch and use a Multi-meter to check the continuity between Pin "54" and "R" when the stalk is in the right turn position.  If no continuity between the pins, you have a bad or dirty turn signal switch.  You could try cleaning it, but that doesn't always work.

Mark92131

1970 BMW 1600 (Nevada)

• Solution

Is your '72 a European model or was it delivered to England as a US spec car?

6 or 12 fuse?

Here's the schematic for a 12-fuse USA "roundie" (round taillights).

The right and left side turn signals and flashers are on two different fuses (#5 for Left, #6 for Right). 

Are your turn signal lamps all LED? If so, they need a special flasher unit to work like the incandescent flasher.

Hope this helps locate the problem.

BMW 2002 USA 12Volt 12 Fuse RoundTailight.pdf

Hey John   Thanks!  that schematic is so clear and legible  Delivered as US spec and 12 fuse model. The LED I was referring to are the tail light upgrade from: classicautoleds.com/led-lights/bmw-2002/bmw-2002-1966-1973-led-light-set\ 

Nice and bright! Easy upgrade and install and just have to figure out whats wrong! Had problem before I swapped these in and was hoping might fix problem at same time! This is the part that includes the wiper function into the right side directional btw.

Shows part number 1 352 958 on housing.

Parking light seems to be switch. Will play with it tomorrow!

The BMW 2002 US VIN 2578838 was manufactured on September 28th, 1971 and delivered on
October 05th, 1971 to BMW Concessionaires G.B. Ltd. in Brighton/Sussex. The original
colour was Riviera, paint code 036