• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Ignition switch problems

Bgfoot05

My symptoms in this match some of what I found and then there are some I didn't find

My ignition (mind you there has been no progression of symptoms it was just this way after getting the car back together) seems to lock up sometimes related to the wheel lock and sometimes not(sometimes weighing the wheel works sometimes it doesn't), like it just won't turn at all, if it does turn it feels gummy like there is no spring in rotation, it'll stick on start sometimes.   Any suggestions or ideas on how to go in to figuring out our fixing this would be appreciated.

I’d take the lock barrel(?) off and have a look what’s going on with steering lock lever mechanism. And lock itself apart & clean all (replace what’s worn or maybe broken). The switch needs to be examined as well.

• Like 1

2002 -73 M2, 2002 -71 forced induction. bnr32 -91

I would suggest first removing the electric ignition switch, it has the spring and detent in it. Be careful they are delicate.

Try turning the ignition key in the lock, If the lock is smooth its probably the switch.

If the lock is sticky clean it out with brake clean and re lube with graphite.