• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Alpina Founder has died

Charles in PA

He was a real pioneer and did BMW a world of good, even though for many years Alpina wasn't well known here in the States--here Alpine meant a Sunbeam sports car or a sporty Renault-based coupe.  

In the spring of 1970 I received AF orders to Wiesbaden Germany for a three year tour.  I could take Wolfgang, my year-old 2002 with me.  I had heard of Alpina, thanks to the Car & Driver article about the Alpina-modified 1600 with the two liter engine so was ready to stuff everything Alpina I could into my '02 while I was there.   Alas, ten days before my port call date my orders were canceled, and three months later I received new orders--to Vietnam.  Not only was there no Alpina stuff there, but I couldn't even take my car.  Lost opportunity, but at least I still have the car!

mike

• Like 10

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

I think he lived a very good, long life, more than a few folks have no idea what Alpine (er...'ALPINA') is, better yet was (back in the tuner days).  I was first exposed to their gear when I was in college at UC Berkeley.  I had a '69 2002 and Hardy & Beck was right next door.  I couldn't afford any of it then being a poor college student, but I could look!  Over the years later on I came to own (and use) pretty much every part they ever made for a 2002, and of course now own one of BB's favorite cars (according to folks at Alpina).  This is a really great image of him posing with the car, head engineer Dr. Fritz Indra behind the wheel.

856b.jpg

• Like 10