• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Wilwood Brakes

M10Fan

Hi all. I have the Wilwood break kits sold by Ireland Engineering installed on my '76 (front and rear). I am getting some significant shudder and am planning on inspecting the rotors and pads. Wondering if anyone else has these kits and if you have done this job before? Any tricks or befuddling issues encountered working on them? I did not install these kits, they were on the car at the time of my purchase. Any advice appreciated. Thanks so much!

which BRAKE kit?  there are two.

what pads?

what rotors?

were the pads bedded in correctly?

shudder/vibration is usually NOT warping or runout.  it is usually poorly bedded pads that create an uneven laydown of pad material on the rotor.  can also happen if the wrong pads are used...like running track pads on the street.

could also be completely not brake related.  suspension and bearing issues can create this problem.

DSC_1161(1).JPG

Edited by M3M3M3
  • Like 1

2xM3

Yuppers-

check to see if the rotors look or measure uneven.

The Wilwoody kits are so big that under regular use,

a pad that needs any heat to stay bedded may not...

Also, to add to what Marshall said, check the wheel bearings

to make sure they're not loose,

and after a drive, check the rotor temperatures to make sure

the brakes aren't sticking.

t

Edited by TobyB

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Appreciate the feedback folks. I drove the car for 30 minutes then checked the temp of all the rotors. The passenger side front was 40 degrees hottest than the rest. I took the rotor off and took it to O’Reilly’s for resurfacing. There was apparently a significant worn spot (the previous owner had a good time in this thing!). They were able to improve the rotor though not entirely fix it. I reinstalled and the shimmy is 90% better. I’ll be replacing the rotors at some point in the near future. But this helped immensely. 

That kind of temperature difference tells that brake is dragging in that corner. The pistons should be taken out and cleaned. That usually helps with Wilwoods in my racecar. It's good that the disc is now resurfaced but it's not a fix for the dragging.

Racing is Life - everything before and after is just waiting!

Yeah.  You have a stuck caliper. 

Cutting the rotor will make it warp again sooner.

Call Willwoody, get 2 seal kits, reseal both calipers, 

and see how it goes.

If you have rubber brake hoses, replace those, too.

t

it's not rocket surgery.

• Like 1

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL