• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Replacement turbo from BMW now available

dlacey

Here are some photos of one of them shared on the Facebook post they put up today.  Obviously the newly available turbo is on the left.  The one on the right was installed in a customers car, leading the poster to think the new turbo was wrong, which it does not appear to be.  IMG_6566.thumb.jpeg.21ff5156c868679abaa2c068e801ae92.jpegIMG_6565.thumb.jpeg.5b1b5bf244b6bcd943726c3b7b4499b3.jpegIMG_6567.thumb.jpeg.205dbbd56df90a2e3c2f06d55fdfc7b1.jpeg

1973 2002 tii

1974 2002 turbo

So the $7500 question for me is...will the new BMW turbocharger make my Turbo more "authentic"?  If so, it might be worth putting on the shelf for the next owner.  I wouldn't install it, though, because my Oldenzaal turbocharger is fantastic.

• Like 1

January 30, 1973 Agave tii

April 24, 1974 Chamonix Turbo (German delivery)

Turns-out my capital city BMW dealer is in the BMW classic network, and i was able to get a quotation.... RM56,000 which is about 12KUSD ... more than i paid for the car....

Comparing the pics above with my expired EB32G, it looks like quite an accurate copy of the original...i wonder if the inducer/exducer follow the original designs? 

Its big money for steam engine performance

Edited by dlacey

'59 Morris Minor, '67 Triumph TR4A, '68 Silver Shadow, '72 2002tii, '73 Jaguar E-Type,

'73 2002tii w/Alpina mods , '74 2002turbo, '85 Alfa Spider, '03 Lotus Elise

On 9/26/2023 at 11:59 PM, Lengrep said:

So the $7500 question for me is...will the new BMW turbocharger make my Turbo more "authentic"?  If so, it might be worth putting on the shelf for the next owner.  I wouldn't install it, though, because my Oldenzaal turbocharger is fantastic.

Not a turbo owner, but generally a stickler for stock components. Agreeing, nonetheless, with Greg’s position, if I had a turbo and could afford a spare turbo (@ $10K+), that “OEM” spare would sit on a shelf collecting dust while my “new-technology” non-original turbo was on the car. So… would having that spare OEM turbo sitting on a shelf increase my turbo’s value by the $10K+ you paid for it? I’m not convinced it would.

And I’m betting the next owner would prefer the new-technology turbo be installed on the car, and would place that OEM unit on his shelf.

So how many turbo owners would actually install the new OEM turbo and place the new-technology turbo on their shelf? 

Best regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

The beauty of the kugelfischer fuel injection pump is that it reacts to boost and revs entirely independently of the boost source... the pump is not 'programmed' to match the original EB32G turbo, its just setup to match fuelling to whatever boost is happening. That means the car works absolutely fine (if not better) when non-standard turbos start boosting at lower revs or boost higher at whatever revs... the car really responds to a more modern turbo that spools earlier and boosts to 12+ psi. Given the turbo is low and out-of-sight for all but the most nerdy of observers, any real drivers will stick with their upgraded units, only the concoursistas will be buying i feel....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

'59 Morris Minor, '67 Triumph TR4A, '68 Silver Shadow, '72 2002tii, '73 Jaguar E-Type,

'73 2002tii w/Alpina mods , '74 2002turbo, '85 Alfa Spider, '03 Lotus Elise

5 minutes ago, Lengrep said:

Somebody is buying them. Only three left in Germany when I asked about price on Thursday last week. 

Do we know how many they produced?

I suspect there are lots of turbos out there — not serviced by techs familiar with the best 2023 “fixes” — who view this OEM turbo as their only solution. Not everyone participates in useful forums!

Best regards,

Steve

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

1 minute ago, Conserv said:

Do we know how many they produced?

I suspect there are lots of turbos out there — not serviced by techs familiar with the best 2023 “fixes” — who view this OEM turbo as their only solution. Not everyone participates in useful forums!

Best regards,

Steve

True that!

Greg

January 30, 1973 Agave tii

April 24, 1974 Chamonix Turbo (German delivery)

Historically, having the OEM turbo either in the engine bay or on a shelf was, at least, a $10k value enhancer.  Been over 20 years (or longer) that an OEM turbo could be ordered from the factory. 

My issue with the modern ones is a leanness issue for the Kugel.  My Garrett wanted 15 PSI, which was too much for it, according to Korman.  I thought we could tweak the Kugel to give more fuel, no?

• Like 1