• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Torque spec for the intake manifold nuts?

its55
Go to solution Solved by Son of Marty,

Tight enough to seal, usually 'quite tight' by wrench, or 'medium tight' by 3/8" ratchet.

If you need a number, use the standard fastener for an 8x1.25, which is what the stud is.  

I like to use gasket sealant around that branch, as I've historically found that water seeps through

the gasket, and rusts the stud...

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

1 hour ago, its55 said:

Can someone tell me the torque specs for the intake manifold (and the cooling system "branch stub"), I was unable to find it in at this link or in my books...

Thanks!

This might help

BMW 2002 FAQ - BMW 2002 Torque Specifications.mht

(1973 Fjord Blue 037) Vin 2588314- Build date February 6th, 1973- delivered to Hoffman Motors NYC February 8th.

• Solution

I don't see getting a torque wrench on all 8 nuts anyway (maybe if your using the 12mm head or smaller nuts) so as Toby said just tight enough to seal. Also the copper coated exhaust nuts fit and will provide a locking feature. The torque spec for a 8x1.25mm nut is 17.7 ft/lb so you'll need a inch pound torque wrench or a very low reading wrench to do that accurately, not you 100 ft/lb unit.

Edited by Son of Marty
  • Like 1

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

2 hours ago, Son of Marty said:

I don't see getting a torque wrench on all 8 nuts anyway (maybe if your using the 12mm head or smaller nuts) so as Toby said just tight enough to seal. Also the copper coated exhaust nuts fit and will provide a locking feature. The torque spec for a 8x1.25mm nut is 17.7 ft/lb so you'll need a inch pound torque wrench or a very low reading wrench to do that accurately, not you 100 ft/lb unit.

Thanks, primarily I want to tighten the nuts at the cooling system branch fitting, but will check others as possible.  I do have a torque wrench that I can use for this.