• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Soooo…what’s the story with Blogs?

Lucky 7

Interesting topic! I'm one of the ones with a general post that could (should?) be a blog/build post. Happy to ask to move it over, it isn't clear to me as to the distinction. I'll go with the flow for sure.

~Jason

• Like 1

1973 2002tii (2764167), Baikal, Rebuild blog here!

In the past: Verona H&B 1973 2002tii (2762913); Malaga 1975 2002; White 1975 2002

--> Blog: Repro tii cold start relay;   + --> Need an Alpina A4 tuning guide? PM me!

This is a real hard one.  I love that I can break my blog down into sections, which make specific processes easy to find.  But I love Vince and Jason's build threads, where I can easily stay on top of where they are in the process.  I wish the blog section could be viewed by main blog, then by sub-entires.

• Like 3

Karl B.

1974 2002tii Malaga ("Conrad") -->> Conrad's Restoration Blog

2003 330i ZHP 6-spd

2011 328i xDrive

3 minutes ago, bergie33 said:

This is a real hard one.  I love that I can break my blog down into sections, which make specific processes easy to find.  But I love Vince and Jason's build threads, where I can easily stay on top of where they are in the process.  I wish the blog section could be viewed by main blog, then by sub-entires.

Agreed on all fronts. I’m happy there’s a few in General for me to keep up with. The format of Blogs makes it hard to find or get into a project and the lack of comments always makes it feel sterile. 

• Like 2

Man, I’ve been coming here since 2017 and all this is news to me. I’ve generally only ever posted here, so sorry if any of you thought I was after attention. I assure you my ego doesn’t need to be inflated any more than it already is😂

• Haha 2

There have been several in the past who very pointedly used the general section in order to create hype around a car when they go to sell/flip it.  A slick marketing strategy, but not much actual enthusiast intent.

Perhaps changing the name from “Project Blog - archive” to “Project Build Threads” given the section is still active and setup the same as the general thread style.

• Like 2

So if I put a build thread in General, am I an asshole?  I mean, I AM an asshole but I don’t want you guys knowing it. 😆

My motivation would only be to engage with and reach more people. Definitely not selling my car or anything. We’ve been through too much together. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 3

24 minutes ago, Lucky 7 said:

So if I put a build thread in General, am I an asshole?  I mean, I AM an asshole but I don’t want you guys knowing it. 😆

My motivation would only be to engage with and reach more people. Definitely not selling my car or anything. We’ve been through too much together. 

I am in the same asshole boat as you. 😆

• Like 2

On 6/29/2023 at 11:32 AM, AceAndrew said:

Put it in the build blog archive section (since it functions the same way as the general section but is actually intended for our builds.  Makes it easier for someone to look up your project as well) and will get the section name changed to “build threads” or similar.

Let me know if you guys would be interested in some light UX research for the site. 

• Like 1

On 6/29/2023 at 12:12 PM, Lucky 7 said:

in theory, there is no difference in "engagement" or reaching more people by putting it in the general section.  if everyone uses the activity/unread page as their default for this website, you see everything no matter what subforum it is in.

https://www.bmw2002faq.com/discover/unread/

if folks are just going to the general section, they are missing out on a lot of the depth of the info in this forum.    might as well just use faceplant.

it is a lot easier to find cool builds when they are in the build section and not lost amongst the rest of the posts in the general section.

LOL... My 500k view build thread has always been in the build threads section.  It certainly didn't seem to suffer from any lack of "engagement" or exposure.  Content drives engagement.

Edited by M3M3M3
  • Like 4

2xM3

• Administrators

Blogs is your personal space on this site. You can pretty much do anything you want with it. It is a good place to gather data on a build or anything else important that you do. It is very easy to find User's Blogs by looking at a user profile. 

image.png

There are some very cool well-organized blogs like

If you are trying to ask a question, Blog is not the right place. If you want to have a place you can call your own for your projects, cars, and events, Blogs is the spot. 

If you want to share some well-organized technical information, Articles is the place. 

Things in the forum will get lost much quicker than blogs, especially active ones.  

You are welcome to share the blogs anywhere you wish. You can share the entries or the full blog. You can add the link to your signature. We automatically share New blog entries to the Facebook page. 

We currently present the Blogs page as a tile for recent entries. So active stuff will be at the top. I can have it a list of Blogs, but that does not look as good, and still sorts by activity.  

I am here to answer any questions you might have. 

steve k.

p.s. we only have a general section as i had no idea how people will treat these.

p.p.s archive blog section was created before the real Blogs showed up and will most likely be merged into the General discussion.

p.p.p.s If anyone has any suggestions on how to organize the resources here, i am willing to listen as i know most people do not go beyond the forum.

• Like 2

Get your 2002 FAQ merchandise from 2002FAQ Store