• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Soooo…what’s the story with Blogs?

Lucky 7

I was thinking I’d finally get around to documenting my m20 swap and resto since I have nothing else to do while I wait for paint to be done.  

Seems like I’m supposed to start a build blog, but am I the only one that isn’t enamored with that section?  It’s possible I’m missing something, but it’s hard (or impossible?) to sort blogs by total views, total comments, most recently active or really just see the list of blogs rather than a long list of disparate posts from many different blogs.  This makes it  difficult to find content and as I result I mostly avoid the section unless it pops up in a Google search.  It also seems like there’s very little community engagement over there, which is a big bummer since that’s half the fun of the effort. 

Recently I’ve noticed a number of build threads just chillin’ in the general discussion area, which seems to garner more interest and activity but also seems to attract the occasional comment about how it should be over in Blogs.  I kind of like the general discussion builds, but maybe not everyone does?

I’m curious about how you all engage with the Blogs section.  

My project goes from here:

50573FAE-F667-402B-8C2E-68C0A06B0A87.thumb.jpeg.06ec8756503ab3598109a72504185044.jpeg

to here.  Eventually.4E907534-A89E-4BB6-9498-FCD893C51397.jpeg.c703a410c9b91fa085e5d08a3f0a17d4.jpeg

1 hour ago, HobieDog said:

Same, I never look at the blogs unless something pops up in a search. It seems a shame because there is a lot of good info in them but there doesn’t appear to be much regular traffic perusing and engaging on them. 

Totally agree, there’s a ton of great info in there but it can be hard to find. It always feels a bit like it’s happening in a vacuum, which would definitely be a shame. 

2 hours ago, popovm said:

Great looking car. You can also just do a build thread in this forum. Classic option. 

No.  That’s not the intent of this general section, posting directly to here comes across as a bit grasping for attention.  As mentioned the blog archive section would be more in line if you wanted the classic forum experience.

I agree with not finding the “new” blog section appealing, but it’s certainly more structured.  The old style makes engagement less organized but more interactive.

Generally speaking, interactions are less on any personal project blog when compared to community-type threads.

• Like 2

I posted my build in the blogs but I feel like the guy that won't turn right on red because he's got a dedicated traffic light; everyone else is posting in the general section so why am I dutifully waiting for my light to turn🙂? There were times I needed help and I had to post individual questions in the general section where it would be seen, and then write up the solution in the blog section.

Maybe a solution is to let a "blog" get posted in the general section where everyone will see it, and be able to get advice, and then when it goes six months without an update it is sent to the blog archives. This would do away with a dedicated blog section.

Edited by Georges
  • Like 2

engine small.jpg

I started a blog to on my full restoration. I quickly came to realize my task list was sooo long that I couldnt ever find time to document a project completion it in a thoughtful way. I might as well use the time degreasing something. That said, for those who keep up with theirs, they have a true prize for themselves at the planned end of their project. If anything do it for yourself and every one else is secondary.

Series 1, 1969 2002

Instagram: joseiden_bmwerke

4 hours ago, AceAndrew said:

No.  That’s not the intent of this general section, posting directly to here comes across as a bit grasping for attention.  As mentioned the blog archive section would be more in line if you wanted the classic forum experience.

I agree with not finding the “new” blog section appealing, but it’s certainly more structured.  The old style makes engagement less organized but more interactive.

Generally speaking, interactions are less on any personal project blog when compared to community-type threads.

ok? Goes against how all other forums function. The UI design or user onboarding here needs to improve if all users are expected to post their project updates to the blogs. I have no idea what the "old style" blog is and I've been here for almost 3 years. Is there a guide somewhere for how this all works? 

The "old style blogs" were not blogs.  They were build threads.  The "old blog archives" section is not actually an archive,  it is still an active sub forum for the types of postings that people here are wanting to do.  There is a ton of information in that sub forum on all kinds of 02 builds.

12yrs of my 2002/M2 journey documented there..1.1k posts ...500k views.

Edited by M3M3M3

2xM3

1 hour ago, popovm said:

ok? Goes against how all other forums function. The UI design or user onboarding here needs to improve if all users are expected to post their project updates to the blogs. I have no idea what the "old style" blog is and I've been here for almost 3 years. Is there a guide somewhere for how this all works? 

While I agree... I think this forum is organized in a very different way than most forums. Especially after internet brands bought what feels like 95 percent of everything.  Those boards still have a wealth of info on them, but it's only organized by car model. Maybe there is a sticky thread with old defunct walk throughs at the top (with broken photo bucket links) but there isn't a actual walk through section you can browse.  Or many will have links to websites with the specific info, but it's not actually organized and created on those forums as much. 

The closest thing to this I've used is 

proposal-8-for-web.jpg
WWW.GARYSGARAGEMAHAL.COM

DEDICATED TO BEING THE WORLD'S BEST DOCUMENTATION WEBSITE AND DISCUSSION COMMUNITY FOR 1980-1986 FORD TRUCKS

for bullnose fords. I kinda figured that the blog section was kinda like that and I didn't want to put build update spam in the actual fact area. 

That and the auto generated thread when I added my 02... I figured that was what it was for. Anyway, now I know. 

Marshall, you’re also in the unique position of having one of the longest, most viewed threads on the entire forum. 😂

Thanks for the tip on the archive being active, though. I thought it was mothballed. 

My original question remains though. Do many people interact with the blogs (or archive)?  The whole reason I’d document the process is to try to help others as you all have helped me. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Lucky 7 said:

Marshall, you’re also in the unique position of having one of the longest, most viewed threads on the entire forum. 😂

Thanks for the tip on the archive being active, though. I thought it was mothballed. 

My original question remains though. Do many people interact with the blogs (or archive)?  The whole reason I’d document the process is to try to help others as you all have helped me. 

That archive section is pretty appealing. I didn't go with a blog since it seemed like more overhead. 

• Like 1

49 minutes ago, Lucky 7 said:

The whole reason I’d document the process is to try to help others as you all have helped me. 

bingo.  best reason for doing a build thread.

and when a good procedure is found, write an article for the articles section.  there is so much good DIY in that section that most never even look at.   it seems a majority of members nowadays never stray from the general 02 discussion subforum.

• Like 3

2xM3