• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tii engine assembly

fsf517
Go to solution Solved by Einspritz,

Hello again most knowledgable folks of the 02.  Here I am at the engine assembly process.  My  block is refreshed along with my cylinder head and fuel injection pump.  I am asking to take a close look at my linkages, do they look correct? should anything else look incorrect please comment.  Obviously there are more parts to put on.  I did not get an upgrade starter.  I am not overly concerned with correct plating, bracket colors or exact hardware etc.  All comments are welcome.  I am of course concerned with functionality.  Thank you for the help always.  Fred

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 2

• Solution

Hi

The linkages are correct though I prefer a plastic linkage between the intermediate shaft and the pump. Even a little lash will affect your tuning.

Sometimes it's a good thing to attach the ground strap now when the large bolt at the starter bracket is exposed.

Looks nice

• Like 1

It looks like you might be missing the ball cup where the linkage pivots on the WUR.  Otherwise, I wish mine looked this nice!ED122997-37D4-4EDE-AF3E-B96091700056.thumb.png.7fa630a64f666361d6de3f2281c32fdb.png

Current: '75 verona 2002Tii Lux “Lecco”

Retired: '67 chamonix 1600-2, '69 tundra 2002ti-ed, '74 chamonix 2002, '75 anthracite 2002, '80 alpine 320is

Another question, the butterfly inside the throttle body.  (the flap that opens for air) That has the potential to be pretty much wide open, the way my linkage is adjusted now its not quite in the sweet spot center.  its 20% closed, is that normal? Fred

image.jpg

47 minutes ago, Einspritz said:

Hi

The linkages are correct though I prefer a plastic linkage between the intermediate shaft and the pump. Even a little lash will affect your tuning.

Sometimes it's a good thing to attach the ground strap now when the large bolt at the starter bracket is exposed.

Looks nice

Can you show me a plastic linkage?  

IMG_20230430_184815.thumb.jpg.970bb38d335f026ac39a560cacfd0983.jpg

And shameless self promotion.....

Somewhere along the line the ball cup linkage was superseded but they really have too much lash.

And yes, they will eventually get heat stressed and break. But odds are that's many miles and years down the line.... I'd wager the quality of plastic is better than "back in the day".

For me and mine, I go all plastic just because I can't stand any lash... Then go as far as making my own bushings for the bell cranks so there is precise movement from the pedal onward.

But you don't need to be that, um,.........

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, fsf517 said:

Another question, the butterfly inside the throttle body.  (the flap that opens for air) That has the potential to be pretty much wide open, the way my linkage is adjusted now its not quite in the sweet spot center.  its 20% closed, is that normal? Fred

image.jpg

Until the accelerator pedal is connected (engine installed), don’t worry about the throttle plate location. Set that up using the BMW instructions to get the car running, then make adjustments to make it run correctly.

While the engine is out, reduce any slop in the (2) linkage pivots using nylon washers.  Your goal is to make them operate smoothly, without any binding.

• Thanks 1

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

• 2 weeks later...