• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Long tube header clearance w/ 5 speed swap

ketchup
Go to solution Solved by TobyB,

I've been working through a 5 speed swap using a 240 instead of a 245. One challenge was the trans bracket – there were few options for 240, compared to the 245. Thankfully, I was able to source a very quality bracket/brace from Blunt. Got it installed, got the trans angle / height looking just right. Then, went to install the header. I have long header that I got from TEP – I think...could have been Ireland, but I think it was TEP. Anyway, as you can see in the pics, the intrusion is pretty bad. There is no alteration to the trans bracket that can remedy this, it will need to be an exhaust alteration to solve. But how? Seems I have 3 options, but curious if I'm missing an option?

1. heat the thing to red hot, bend it down slightly. Deal with downstream alterations as those pipes are easier to deal with
  2. cut and re-weld collector. Not sure if I trust my skills
  3. sell this header & buy something else. Don't love this option as there is no guarantee that any other setup will be better. A shorty header will then require a downpipe which itself will probably need to be altered anyway, right?
  4. List car on BAT, go on vacation

Does anyone have any experience with this? I know 240 swaps are more rare than 245's but I feel that, due to cost & availability, we are going to start seeing a lot more 240 swaps so we need to collectively figure this crap out 😄

IMG_9688.jpg

IMG_9685.jpg

IMG_9687.jpg

IMG_9686.jpg

Edited by ketchup

I can't see in the pictures, as HEIC isn't supported on the glass I'm looking at the internet with.

As to making a long header work, yes, you will have to adapt your bracket.

I used the Stahl long primary header, and it's big enough that it pretty much has to

suck up against the side of the transmission if it's not going to drag on the ground.

This was pre- cameras, so I don't have pictures to hand, but it involved a stepwise bracket that

went above the exhaust, then mounted to the tunnel itself.  It wasn't elegant, but it never gave trouble.

It did involve a welder, some swearing, and by the time I was done, I had about 4 of a 6- pack for the

only time in my life...

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

1 minute ago, TobyB said:

I can't see in the pictures, as HEIC isn't supported on the glass I'm looking at the internet with.

As to making a long header work, yes, you will have to adapt your bracket.

I used the Stahl long primary header, and it's big enough that it pretty much has to

suck up against the side of the transmission if it's not going to drag on the ground.

This was pre- cameras, so I don't have pictures to hand, but it involved a stepwise bracket that

went above the exhaust, then mounted to the tunnel itself.  It wasn't elegant, but it never gave trouble.

It did involve a welder, some swearing, and by the time I was done, I had about 4 of a 6- pack for the

only time in my life...

t

Sorry bout the pics. They have now been updated, might require a refresh. Thanks for the good advice so far. Abundant swearing was presumed...

• Like 1

• Solution

Holy Sith, that header really hangs down, doesn't it?

I'd also missed that you were using the E30 version,

with the extra mounting ear.

Here's a diagram (red line) of what I did- the green circle's where I remember the 

Stahl landing.  I whalloped a great dent in the tunnel so the mounting flange

didn't grind into it.  

I think you could do similar- you've got a lot more room to work with with that 

lower- hanging collector.  That's a great picture- IF it's aligned as well as it looks,

maybe something like the yellow line could work.

The trans support is really not carrying much weight at all, it's far more of a stabilizer.

So some 1/8" or 3/16" strap bent as the yellow shows will be plenty stout.

The OE bracket was designed to give in the event that the car's nose was 

crunched, to aim the engine downward slightly as it got shoved back.

g240 header 2.jpg

g240 header.jpg

Edited by TobyB
  • Like 1

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Tremendous. Thanks @TobyB – its good to have an idea that doesn't involve me dropping ~$500 for another header. I'll pull that bracket, fire up the welder & see what I can do. No reason this shouldn't work just fine. And this may be a good design note for @BLUNT – as the the e30 240 becomes more prolific. I appreciate how, in terms of strength, the Blunt bracket is very solid. But, since we are talking more about stabilization than support, it may be somewhat over-built. The bolt-up holes on this bracket are wide enough for some adjustment, but I also ended up hogging one all the way out the end on one side. This allowed for even greater adjustment side-to-side to achieve more accurate alignment for my application. It also makes installation / removal a bit easier. 

I have that mount in Survivor along with a SS automatic style downpipe from IE, that downpipe does hang down a little more than a stock downpipe.

So the Blunt Mount would probably work and clear on a totally stock set up with little or no mods.

IMG_1162.JPG

Edited by tech71

76 2002 Survivor

71 2002 Franzi

85 318i  Doris

• 2 weeks later...