• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Looking for guidance on 32/36 throttle linkage

jaredmac11

I'm attempting to set up my linkage on a 32/36. I believe the Pn is 35411103814. 

The throttle rod leaving the linkage seems to be clocked at a 10 o clock orientation when photos I've seen seem to be 2 o clock. 

In the photos below, 

Golf is mine, everything else is a friend's. 

I am happy to try and modify mine but I would prefer to not hack up a harder to find part if I am doing something wrong. 

If I flip the u shaped lever 180, the rod points to the 5 o clock position. Neither seem ideal and sort of bind. 

Do I have the wrong part?

PXL_20230206_013822178~2.jpg

IMG-20230204-WA0004.jpg

IMG-20230204-WA0002.jpg

41 minutes ago, John76 said:

Contact @halboyles at Only 2002 if you need linkage parts.

Thank you for that mention @John76.  

We actually have complete downdraft linkage kits to replace all the worn parts on the originals.  See it here:  

file.jpg
WWW.2002SONLY.COM

It’s finally here! The Ultimate Downdraft Linkage System for your 2002. The System replaces everything from the firewall to the Weber carburetor’s throttle shaft! Throw away your 45-year-old, kludged-up downdraft linkage and replace it with our more robust, more responsive and...

This is a bolt-on system and works with both the 32/36 and the 38/38 so you have carburetor options.

Edited by halboyles
  • Like 1

BMWCCA  Member #14493

www.2002sonly.com

1086238739_Logoforsignature.png.eb1354ab9afa7c378cd15f33e4c7fbbe.png

Just installed Hal's throttle linkage. I'll have to post some pictures of my badly worn linkage. I never would have guessed how much of a difference it makes to have a tight and properly functioning linkage. Seems like a bunch of nagging carb issues vanished with a linkage refresh. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, MarcD said:

I'll have to post some pictures of my badly worn linkage.

Yes, please do and thanks for using our linkage!

14 hours ago, MarcD said:

I never would have guessed how much of a difference it makes to have a tight and properly functioning linkage. Seems like a bunch of nagging carb issues vanished with a linkage refresh. 

Everyone is surprised just how badly their downdraft linkage works until they install ours.  The pedal response is instant.  There are no dead spots.  The movement is incredibly fluid. 

The existing linkage mechanisms are around 50 years old and virtually none of the replacement parts are available.  Here are some pics of the linkage parts we typically find on the downdraft 2002s that we work on.

Worn OEM Downdraft Components (1).jpg

Worn OEM Downdraft Components (7).jpg

Worn OEM Downdraft Components (8).jpg

Worn OEM Downdraft Components (5).jpg

Edited by halboyles
  • Like 2

BMWCCA  Member #14493

www.2002sonly.com

1086238739_Logoforsignature.png.eb1354ab9afa7c378cd15f33e4c7fbbe.png

Put the pedal end in the viSe,

grab the carb end with viSe grips.

and give it a 90 (or so) degree twist.

Done!

My theory on the smaller, springier bent rod design is that while it also saved money over the 

more high- tech- looking Mert-cedes looking part, it really saved wear on the 

carb, by flexing when the engine moved under full throttle and jammed the carb 

more than wide open.

t

has done this a few times.

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

• 2 weeks later...

Looks like I'm trying to use a hodgepodge of linkage for mine. I don't seem to have the standard 32/36 but hearing Hal mention I could lose the dead zone of the throttle is enticing! 

I can feel a gap in the throttle when the 32 is opened and the 36 is opening. 

I'll reach out to you, Hal with some other questions! 

In the mean time I was able to cut, modify, and weld a new linkage. It just needed to go over 25, degrees from the 11 I clock to a 1 o clock position. 

• Like 1