• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Getrag 245 OD Freshy-Fresh!

Cabbage Fumes

Price: $2000

Description:

Up for sale is a G245/4 (overdrive) trans, zero miles since complete tear-down and rebuild. 

This trans was a quiet, good working unit, with the exception of it being tough getting into gear, which is commonly happens. 

The trans was completely broken down, inspected, and rebuilt with only the 2nd and 3rd synchros needing to be replaced by SK Performance Transmission in Sun Valley, CA, who does all my Getrags and have full confidence in.

New case gaskets(of course), front and rear seals, shift shaft seal and speedo drive seal replaced. 

Price is for the trans, picked up. Shipping is unenthusiastically an option.

I can help source other needed install/swap parts if necessary. 

It is unadorned, but I can dust it with some Alumablast if you want it prettier, no charge.

I can include a new fork bushing, a fork, a good used slave cylinder if you don’t have them. 
Im in no hurry. They aren’t making more of these and synchros aren’t getting cheaper. 

IMG_0325.jpg

IMG_0326.jpg

IMG_0327.jpg

Edited by Furry Camel
stuff.
  • Like 3

Considering it's about $2K to rebuild and you still need a core which could set one back $1K to $1.5K seems like a no brainer. 

Take note: the filler plug on this unit is pronounced (not recessed) so you can actually get a wrench on it when up in that narrow 2002 tunnel. Upgrade. 

but what do I know. 

I tried to sell a known good 245 for close to this price. Plus a host of other stuff like a LSD and the much of the peripherals needed for a 5 speed swap and the trolls complained.  

Edited by conkitchen
  • Haha 1

But what do I know

1 hour ago, conkitchen said:

Considering it's about $2K to rebuild and you still need a core which could set one back $1K to $1.5K seems like a no brainer. 

Take note: the filler plug on this unit is pronounced (not recessed) so you can actually get a wrench on it when up in that narrow 2002 tunnel. Upgrade. 

but what do I know. 

I tried to sell a known good 245 for close to this price. Plus a host of other stuff like a LSD and the much of the peripherals needed for a 5 speed swap and the trolls complained.  

I appreciate it. Yes, if I needed one for a swap or just plain needed one, I think it's a pretty pay it forward kind of price. I'm sure there will be a few "I remember when..." but seriously, if you can find a verifiable rebuilt one for less, absolutely buy it.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Furry Camel said:

The /6 is a 260 and 265 big six style designation. 245 is /4(od) and /10(cr).

Thank you for the correction. Too many G#s in my failing memory. 

G245/2, G245/10, G245/11 were the C/R boxes unless I’ve misremembered that as well. 

And I agree with Toby, $2k for a freshly rebuilt G245 O/D box is a very friendly price. And though I remember buying used G245s for $300, I also remember buying a gallon of gas for less than $0.25. Those days are long gone. 

Edited by williamggruff
  • Like 1

williamggruff

'76 2002 "Verona" / '12 Fiat 500 Sport "Latte" / '21 Toyota 4Runner TRD Off Road Prem “The Truck”

On 1/11/2023 at 6:03 PM, conkitchen said:

Take note: the filler plug on this unit is pronounced (not recessed) so you can actually get a wrench on it when up in that narrow 2002 tunnel.

Resolved that issue.

OD Trans Fill Hole 003.JPG

OD Trans Fill Hole 002a.JPG

OD Trans Fill Hole 004.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

@jimk, that's equivalent to changing the universal gravitational constant to make your tennis serve land inbounds rather than out. Though not strictly against the rules, it's quite sneaky and ingenious.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

williamggruff

'76 2002 "Verona" / '12 Fiat 500 Sport "Latte" / '21 Toyota 4Runner TRD Off Road Prem “The Truck”

On 1/11/2023 at 5:03 PM, conkitchen said:

Take note: the filler plug on this unit is pronounced (not recessed) so you can actually get a wrench on it when up in that narrow 2002 tunnel.

An M10 coupling nut fit into the recess of the drain plug combined with a 17mm wrench (ratcheting type = faster) makes removal/installation fairly easy. -KB

• Like 2