• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Brake reservoir hoses at Master Cylinder-nipples

Pablo M

More fun, more questions. 
Really, there’s more I’m doing that don’t have issues so I don’t post lol. 

I’m trying to install the reservoir refresh kit. I had searched and read some things about getting the nipples and rubber grommets into the master. Several hours later I have them both on but the rear one doesn’t look fully seated. Looks like the lip at the bottom of nipple isn’t past the rubber grommet and properly seated. I have tried everything to get it seated. 
So…

1) is that sufficient or will it surely leak?

2) is there a trick I should try to get it to drop further to seat properly? 

image.thumb.jpeg.5a9f7d1b6df858c2f064951688fc9f07.jpeg

2003 e39 M5 (daily)

1986 e30 325es (sons car)

1972 2002tii (fun daily alternative)

My only trick is to fit the grommet to the elbow first and then push the assembly into the master cyl... A bit of your spare brake grease also helps here.

There's only gravity pressure here, so it shouldn't leak.

• Like 1

'59 Morris Minor, '67 Triumph TR4A, '68 Silver Shadow, '72 2002tii, '73 Jaguar E-Type,

'73 2002tii w/Alpina mods , '74 2002turbo, '85 Alfa Spider, '03 Lotus Elise

1 hour ago, dlacey said:

A bit of your spare brake grease also helps here.

There's only gravity pressure here, so it shouldn't leak.

+1 

Those things are a PITA to insert, but at least they're a little stronger than the originals, which often broke when you tried to remove 'em, reinsert 'em, or just sitting there....

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

4 minutes ago, Pablo M said:

, just one plastic nipple isn’t seated

Yes, I am suggesting take the nipple out, take the grommet out, assemble nipple to grommet ...and then push grommet into master.

• Like 1

'59 Morris Minor, '67 Triumph TR4A, '68 Silver Shadow, '72 2002tii, '73 Jaguar E-Type,

'73 2002tii w/Alpina mods , '74 2002turbo, '85 Alfa Spider, '03 Lotus Elise

26 minutes ago, dlacey said:

Yes, I am suggesting take the nipple out, take the grommet out, assemble nipple to grommet ...and then push grommet into master.

That’s how I did it. But whole assembly wouldn’t go in together at all, even with persuasion. I almost ripped the first one. 

2003 e39 M5 (daily)

Hey Pablo,

how did the refresh kit work out for you?

I'm getting ready to work on my master cylinder too, however my whole system ran dry, so I'm leaning on getting a new MC. The grommets and nipples that I bought look different (see attached) but I'm sure that they will work out just fine. My plan is to get the brakes and clutch operational by the end of the month. I plan to work slow and methodical (when time permits) so I can keep everything clean and organized.....

IMG_1866.jpg.ca9bac7fc646d9ba0b58dc9f90f5d7f8.jpg

IMG_1869.jpg.b1976e3be65530707a69528d46322abd.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, larry_in_socal said:

Hey Pablo,

how did the refresh kit work out for you?

IMG_1869.jpg.b1976e3be65530707a69528d46322abd.jpg

Really well. The whole kit is easy to install. Couple things to note.

-I thought the kit came with new hoses. Good thing I took the old ones off gently. I ended up reusing them. 

-The grommets came out of mine flipped compared to how you show yours. So I put them back in that way, meaning the narrower part goes inside the MC. I think that fits inside the little washer thats at the bottom of that orifice. 

-The kit came with a reservoir slightly different than my original. On my 2002tii the reservoir has a screen mesh inside just below the cap, but has the plunger below it with the connecting rod going through the mesh. The new reservoir I received (from Ireland Eng) has a screen mesh AND a plunger with rod, but can't use both, only one. Not sure why. 

The grommets and nipples were the only difficult part really. Need to fill and bleed the brakes. Can't until I get my brake pads. Ordered the wrong front ones so waiting on replacements.

Pablo-

2003 e39 M5 (daily)

Since the grommets that I bought seem to be different then what I currently have, after reading the post below, its now clear to me which direction the grommets need to face.

As for your  reservoir , can't you pop out the plunger/mesh from your old reservoir and place it on top of the new reservoir ?

1 hour ago, larry_in_socal said:

As for your  reservoir , can't you pop out the plunger/mesh from your old reservoir and place it on top of the new reservoir ?

The whole internal assembly disintegrated as I was taking it out. Might explain the Brake Failure light on dash being on lol. 

2003 e39 M5 (daily)