• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1974 tii rebuild effort

VeroTii

On 12/13/2022 at 8:18 PM, TobyB said:

Also, has it been driven enough recently to get it nice and warm?

As in, 150+ miles on the freeway?  

Yes m10's love to be driven hard, the best you'll set the best valve clearance  after you run the engine hard for 50 or more miles

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

Thanks.  I believe your course of action makes sense.  I have the receipts from the motor replacement.  It was a long block replacement back in 2000.  Because of the helicoil, the head has to come off.  The only question is whether it is better to spend a bit more energy and pull the whole thing and sort it right.  We shall see what the diagnosis yields...

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

While waiting for Jim and Deborah to free up I am sorting other issues on my list.  Replaced the fuel pump with the modern Bosch version.  The how-to from this site was a blessing.  Replaced all the fuel lines and filters while I was at it.  All is good.

Next I am attacking the heater box rebuild.  I am certain the fan motor is shot.  I have been researching alternatives on the FAQ site.  The only definitive recommended alternative seems to be the Bosch 0 130 007 002.  Of course the ones for $80 seem to be out of stock.  Best I can find is $175 on eBay.  A location to buy one for under $100 would be very welcome.  I will also be buying the Blunt rebuild kit for the box and the valve. Only want to do this once!  Thanks.

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

I decided to follow up with the conclusion of this thread.  Unfortunately, the car I purchased had a bad head gasket.  While going that far, I decided to do a rebuild (thankfully).  What was found was shocking and disappointing.  The Metric Mechanics motor had stock pistons and rings installed on a re-bored block.  The piston skirts were rubbing and the head gasket was obviously the wrong size.  Simply unacceptable.

Jim and Deborah at German Motorworks in Orlando were very professional (and gentle breaking the bad news) throughout the whole nightmare.  They did excellent work.  The job is now complete and she is running like a Tii should.  I hope to get many happy miles from here on out.

2024 rebuilt engine picture.jpg

• Like 1

4 hours ago, VeroTii said:

The Metric Mechanics motor had stock pistons and rings installed on a re-bored block.  The piston skirts were rubbing and the head gasket was obviously the wrong size.  Simply unacceptable.

I would suspect it was not a MM build nor a build from the company you bought the car.

• Like 1

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.