• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

can push window down

Howardpowered

with door open i can push driver window down with not much down force; window doesnt fall by gravity alone but it doesnt seem right to be able to spin the regulator by  pushing on window, and pass side resists such force just fine.

do i need to increase angle of a window guide or is there something else?

Sounds like the nylon bushing in the regulator arm has broken off, come out of the metal window base bracket or the base bracket has rusted and failed. All of the above for me BTDT.

Edited by jgerock

Jim Gerock

Riviera 69 2002 built 5/30/69 "Oscar"

Another question to ask yourself:  does turning the window regulator crank roll the window back up?  If so, it sounds like everything is still connected, at least tenuously.  It might be that the felts present in the front guide track are so badly worn (or missing) that the window moves very easily--and will most likely rattle like crazy when underway.  You also may have a misadjusted rear track guide, where the little wheels on the window glass support bracket have come off their track.  If that's the case, the window will be cocked when raising it, making raising difficult.  

Take Esty's advice and delve into the door's innards to see what's going on.  You really don't want to put any kind of odd pressure on tempered glass; it can shatter without warning if stressed in the wrong direction.

mike

PS.  If you find a broken regulator, I did a column on repairing the regulator.  PM me if you'd like a copy.

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite