• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Reattaching grill slats???

Steve76063

Looking for a suggestion...l
How to securely attach a grill slat back to the grill? I tried j-b-Weld, but it let go from the aluminum after 6-8 months :(.
Is there something that adheres better to aluminum than j-b-Weld?

Cross-posting in Facebook 2002 groups

S/N 2579886 Inka (Code 022) Birthday 03 Dec 1971 Delivered 13 Dec 1971 to Hoffman Motors 40 DCOE's, 9.5CR, 123 Ignition 

#792890.Smaller.jpg

Thanks Steve but I did back it up with some small aluminum stock...the jb weld looks like it didn't 'stick' to the grill frame, but it did (so far) to the slat itself.

Whatever I try next, I'm going to rough up the surface as much as I can to try and get a better grip.

Edited by Steve76063

S/N 2579886 Inka (Code 022) Birthday 03 Dec 1971 Delivered 13 Dec 1971 to Hoffman Motors 40 DCOE's, 9.5CR, 123 Ignition 

#792890.Smaller.jpg

This stuff is tough but flexible.  Sold a Walmart.  Cost is around $6 a tube.

20221118_151403.jpg

Edited by jimk
  • Like 1

A radiator shop is a good place to take a leak.

I have no idea what I'm doing but I know I'm really good at it.

Are you reattaching a broken grille slat to the grille itself, or a black anodized applique to the silver-colored grille slat.  If the latter, use contact cement (what the factory used).  If the former...

I used a short piece of brass brazing rod on the back side of the slat to provide more holding area and used (I think...it was a long time ago) some JB Weld.  You can use aluminum rod--I just happened to have a couple of short pieces of brazing rod handy.

I did a column about grille repairs some years ago...PM me if you'd like a copy.

Cheers

mike

• Thanks 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

10 hours ago, Mike Self said:

Are you reattaching a broken grille slat to the grille itself, or a black anodized applique to the silver-colored grille slat.  If the latter, use contact cement (what the factory used).  If the former...

I used a short piece of brass brazing rod on the back side of the slat to provide more holding area and used (I think...it was a long time ago) some JB Weld.  You can use aluminum rod--I just happened to have a couple of short pieces of brazing rod handy.

I did a column about grille repairs some years ago...PM me if you'd like a copy.

Cheers

mike

Thanks Mike...the actual aluminum slat broke free.  I backed it up with some short aluminum stock and used jb weld, but didn't scuff up/sand the contact surfaces-I'm sure that's why it let go.  I'm going to roughen them up this time and either use jb weld again, or try some Loctite Epoxy Weld which specifically says it works on Aluminum (and other metals).

#792890.Smaller.jpg