• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Not the 49-Mile Drive-2022 -   - 12/10/2022 12:00 AM

layers

Welcome to NT49MD-22_drivers protocol & announcements 221206.doc NT49MD-22 route & photos_Handout_221201.doc Event Title: Not the 49-Mile Drive-2022

Event Location: 
Event Author: layers
Event Date: 12/10/2022 12:00 AM

Not the

49-Mile Drive

2022 on 10 December

Well, in spite of the heavy rain we had about 7 cars drive the rally route.  No one got stuck (or lost their brakes) on steep, wet hills!  I posted the photo key NT49MD-22 Photo Key explained_221201.docNT49MD-22 Photo Key explained_221201.docso if anyone wants to try the route on a different day you can check your results.  All drivers who completed the route got a T-shirt (Agave-colored with this year's graphic).  Since the food trucks aborted their visit to the Presidio and Tunnel-Tops Park today, no end-of-route lunch was available in any case.🤕

If anyone has photos of NT49MD-22,please post at [NT49MD-22 photos]!

======================================================

TOMORROW!

Please download the route instructions from the discussion page; they're now posted there (see gray buttons near "Event Title" near page top).

UPDATE on 1 December 2022:

I just added the Driver’s Protocol and Announcements for all to read (see discussion topic using the link near the bottom of this page where the Word file is posted to download).  The route is verified (I corrected just one glitch) and the photos to align in order of view are in place at the end of the route instructions (and ready to post for your download on 9 December).

======================================================

UPDATE: We will start the rally at our old location, the West (beach) side of Great Highway across from Beach Chalet in Golden Gate Park.  Meet by 9:30 AM so all cars can be off before 10:00 AM.  We’re planning for the possibility of finishing near an agglomeration of food trucks where you can buy outdoor nourishment. In any case we still encourage social distancing, masking and other protocol to make sure our rally can NOT become a spreader event (Covid-19 or the flu or even RSV if you have your family lookouts aboard).

We will also have T-shirts.

Please read and download the "Welcome to NT49MD-22 drivers protocol & announcements" which I will upload soon. 

I will run the rally within a few days to verify the route and look for more photos.  I will also post the route instructions before 9 December so you can download them to print out (note, I'm not sure how good the resolution of the photos will be on a phone so I recommend a printed version).  Saves my printer a little bit and also decreases direct personal contact (hey, I know all of you are nice people).

Watch for more details, especially the route instructions!

Larry Ayers

===========================================================================

Hey, December 10 is coming up fast— that means start to get ready for Not the

49-Mile Drive

on 10 December!

Yes, we’re planning another Not the

49-Mile Drive rally around San Francisco.  At this point Rallymeister Pete Petras is checking out his route plans so we do not yet have gathering details in place.  Also, we will NOT meet for lunch in a restaurant, same as last year.  But we’re looking at the possibility of finishing near an agglomeration of food trucks where you can buy outdoor nourishment.  With the route plan still emerging we can not yet definitively tell you where to meet but watch this space as details emerge.

In any case we plan to still encourage social distancing, masking and other protocol to make sure our rally can NOT become a spreader event (Covid-19 or the flu).

Stay tuned!

Note: You can see a few photos from NT49MD-2020 at [More photos from NT49MD-2020].  There are photos from NT40MD-2021 at [Photos from NT49MD-2021].

NT49MD-2022 graphic_quite small 221018.jpg

Not the 49-Mile Drive-2022

Edited by layers
photo key attachement, link to photo page

Larry Ayers

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

’73 Malaga— first car, now gone

'74tii Malaga

• layers changed the title to Not the 49-Mile Drive-2022 on 10 December

Hey, can everyone see the grey button to download the Driver's Protocol and Announcements?  If you did not notice, this button is close to the page top next to "Event Title:".  You probably need to sign-in to see this gray button.

Edited by layers

Larry Ayers

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

'74tii Malaga

Hey, the route instructions and photos are now posted near the top of this discussion page.  Please download and print them for your use!

Larry Ayers

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

'74tii Malaga

Hi Steve--

I'm sorry you can't make NT49MD this year.  I actually expect a low turnout this time due to the rain but we'll never know until tomorrow morning.  I still printed 25 copies of the route instructions although I expect about 15 or 20 cars.  And T-shirts will be FREE for drivers who complete the rally tomorrow!  The Agave-colored shirt is right in tune with our holiday season.

I'll setup a photo page in BayArea02 images for posting, making it easy to collect all photos together.  Go to [Image page for NT49MD-22].

Edited by layers
add link

Larry Ayers

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

'74tii Malaga

So the heaviest rain is forecast to come down between 9:00 and noon tomorrow (a category 2 atmospheric river!). Not sure about the prudence of driving 50 year old cars in that... And I was so looking forward to joining for the first time this year.

Not sure if there's a possibility of pushing it to the afternoon. I'll recheck to see if there's an update in the morning.

Hi all - sorry I cannot make it.  I decided to pull my transmission out for that leaky rear selector seal - its on a business trip to Metric Mechanic!  Watch out for Santacon stragglers too - they may be a bit groggy from all the celebrations today.  

Oh and I better finish the wiper blade restoration too!   

Cheers, looking forward to the pics.

Mark Z

Hi Reys02--

My AAA-Triptik says the route is 20.7 miles, but I made a slight change after I printed the Triptik to drive my DRAFT route.  While I generally like Google Maps to see a route, the turn limit on Google makes me change to Triptik for a complete route.

Did you download the final route with photos plus the photo key to share when your relatives visit and want to "see" San Francisco?

I see you added some photos to our BayArea 02 gallery--Thanks!  I will also add an image I took on my test drive, showing a view from 14th Ave on a mostly clear day when you can see the Marin headlands.  This might be a reason to follow the route again on a clear day when you can see the Golden Gate Bridge beyond Sunset Reservoir and Mt Diablo from Ocean Ave as you drive past I-280.

Edited by layers
Thanks for adding photos

Larry Ayers

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

'74tii Malaga