• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Need a bit of suspension advice - wheel rub

2 hours ago, josh72ooh2 said:

Nobody mentioned replacing the springs…?  They are ST springs. I’m wondering if stock would be better to raise the ride height?

I didn't mention springs because for me "no rub" means I can test the whole suspension travel and steering lock-to-lock, without spring being installed. If there is no contact that's "no rub" for me. Still it's possible to get some in hard cornering when tire is flexing, but it's good enough for me. Conception varies, therefore different answers. For me raising ride height isn't really an answer to the issue.

I see now that you don't have the lower trim that I mentioned. It makes it easier to see the fender shape straight from above. 

• Like 1

Racing is Life - everything before and after is just waiting!

Even though it seems that every classic car has “never been hit” ?, 50 years is a long time. Old cars have a lot of history. I bought my ‘76 new, but I did not accompany it from the assembly line to the retail dealer. So I have no idea what happened for that two-month period.

The most-replaced body panels are probably front fenders (accidents and rust), nosepieces (accidents and rust), and hoods (accidents).

Given the above, I’m not shocked when two “identical” cars fail to accept identical wheels.

Regards,

Steve

• Like 2

1976 2002 Polaris, 2742541 (original owner)

1973 2002tii Inka, 2762757 (not-the-original owner)

3 hours ago, '76mintgrün'02 said:

As mentioned above, rubbing on just one side suggests your car has a "personal problem."

Oh yes, I have many personal problems... 

and one of them is that the car was hit twice...that I know of.  Once in the rear left corner which crunched the rear corner of the car, and buckled the rear left fender. Second time was T boned on the driver's side wheel/fender.  However the rubbing is on the passenger side front wheel.   
I bought the car from a guy on this forum who does backyard restorations of these cars and I seem to remember him saying the car was hit once too.  So the car might not be perfectly square and bodywork has been done to it. But it's a survivor.  It drives straight and there's no irregular tire wear or anything like that.  Just the weight/rub issue.  

I'm thinking I get an alignment, and have the body shop pull the fenders out a wee bit if possible before paint.  

I bring all this up because after the two accidents I was in, the paint is cracking 10 years later.  The bodyshop who did the work is out of business and it needs to be re-prepped, properly, and paints.  

I hope to have all these 'issues' sorted once and forever.  Fingers crossed.  

1972 Malaga (according to DMV) 2002. (Manufactured in '71)

http://www.beemersandbits.com

'77 BMW R100S '73 BMW Cafe bike  1966 Triumph T100C  1966 R90/2 BMW Sidecar Rig  1956 MV Agusta Turismo Rapido