• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Hillsborough Concours - 2022

CGoldone

Stunning day, gorgeous cars, great people, and for good causes.  Broke the piggy bank, again, to enter.  No car marque was featured, but Route 66 was the centerpiece.  Not as many BMW’s as last year, when BMW along with Ford, was featured, but several 2002’s, tii’s and other models showed up.  Came in second place, or to say it differently, lost to the most outstanding in every little detail, 1965 BMW 3200CS Bertone.  Not even close!  

Car shows have their fans - and not, but a great way to see great automobiles - and 2002 tii’s and ti’s fit in perfectly.  

86F3E6FF-2FFD-4DDA-8C87-E4F58DBDE78C.jpeg

27326DA5-BC57-4B9C-9893-2F60B449DA30.jpeg

2C263803-43CB-43A2-92B0-8F50236C967D.jpeg

B8FF05D3-FE01-4864-AF00-F0EEDBD10A7A.jpeg

5EF1B099-0FF3-435F-9044-B2C098066034.jpeg

• Like 3

Congratulations Chris! Your Tii is always "eye candy" and a joy to behold.

Don't feel bad about a 2nd. Place.  Anytime Karra Canum brings a car, it's bound to be a "showstopper".

Kudos to Lisa for taking 1st Place in the Preservation Class with her special '67 1600.

And Themis, with his '74 Tii "square-tail, little-bumper" jewel.

I've been attending the Hillsborough Concours every year since 1986 and this year's event was the best ever.

222430034_3200CSBertone.thumb.JPG.60c5d6bfbc01e5de0d8140f766fc65fe.JPG

1560080067_1965BMW3200CSBertone.thumb.JPG.81708d6b78057815a1d8a94b9975ea2c.JPG

291177011_LisaFirstinClass2022.thumb.JPG.2bbd782beabbe9be88b89a67e4ea65ff.JPG

IMG_5343.thumb.JPG.1d2da64d3141dc2f04d8d9c66da91c15.JPG

IMG_5218.thumb.JPG.7af0abf29d348276ed188c62eaf57235.JPG

632490059_Themis74Tii.thumb.JPG.92d3b61fbc0db3437e3e4178d56dfc64.JPG

Hi John, thanks.  Yes, tough competition.  I took some photos of her car but can’t find right now.  Even the embossed binder of the restoration had a beautiful brass label.  Luggage to match perfectly.  Some would say over the top, but to me an astonishing display of careful detail that can only be admired.  And where would you start looking for those great hub caps?   After all, anyone slaving away over their mechanical fuel injection can only feel their result be the same.  Interestingly, when her car started, possible evidence of the need for rings showed in a haze of blue smoke! 
I liked the green color selection-never found out if it was a BMW color or not.    
The preservation class was a little odd.  I had called and talked with the judge in charge about the criteria, and his comment was the 2009 re-paint  on my car would have too many demerits, but a number of the cars there had even more than just paint.  But all in all, the whole event was spectacular.  Even my “better half” agreed as she dragged me away from a 2023 conversation.  Next year maybe Autobahns…   

Edited by CGoldone

That 1965 3200 CS was restored by the Werk Shop & was owned by Kevin Whalen from 2012-2021. It is a multi-concourse winner on the East Coast. It was also part of The Genesis Exhibit at The BMW CCA Foundation's Ultimate Driving Museum. 

Andrew Wilson
Vern- 1973 2002tii, https://www.bmw2002faq.com/blogs/blog/304-andrew-wilsons-vern-restoration/ 
Veronika- 1968 1600 Cabriolet, Athena- 1973 3.0 CSi,  Rodney- 1988 M5, The M3- 1997 M3,

The Unicorn- 2007 X3, Julia- 2007 Z4 Coupe, Ophelia- 2014 X3, Herman- 1914 KisselKar 4-40

Thanks, well I can say they did a fantastic job.  Don’t know in crass dollar terms, but it had to be north of $200K for that whole restoration project.    As a car I’m not sure if I like the whole design, but you hardly notice for the finish…!

23 minutes ago, mccusername said:

but surely if a car has had a complete repaint, it's closer to a restoration than a preservation?

I've heard (maybe true or not) that if a car has less than 50% of its original paint, it is not considered "preserved".

I had my car repainted in 1993. A full trim off and windows out job but it was only the outside paint. All interior paint (cabin, doors, engine bay, and trunk are original paint, as is the underside and suspension components. So, if you calculate the total square footage of paint, I have way more than 50% of the factory paint. I consider my '76 as "preserved", not restored.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it ?

John

There are preservation criteria in an article on the Hillsborough Concours website with notes on various categories, and an interesting link to guidelines on preservation category cars.  The paint issue is discussed. 

• Administrators

Hillsborough actually does set a definition unlike other places that i have seen.  They are listed at 

The paint part is this:

image.png

So, paint deductions are very small, I also do not know how many points the winners received

Steve 

Get your 2002 FAQ merchandise from 2002FAQ Store

Hi Steve, I observed the judging process is somewhere between rigid, mathematical, and arcane.  And of course the judges are varied by their own backgrounds and experiences.   And attitudes - one head judge was barking out commands, while another looked and acted a bit like Steve Martin’s characters.  I’d guess the variation in scores could be as high as 10-15%.  But that’s just a guess… 
I did ask if the scores were available, and was politely told no.  
Very interesting.  

• Administrators

I am actually glad they posted the guidelines and some scoring for the class. I cannot find that kind of guidelines for BMW CCA, so really hard to understand what needs to happen at Legends in preservation class. 

I found this part interesting

image.png

So it looks like if i want to bring the '64 to the event, i'll need to fix the "battle damage" on the passenger side doors. May be just the front will do  to avoid the deduction.  Are 2 doors less then 10% of the car? :) 

image.jpeg

Get your 2002 FAQ merchandise from 2002FAQ Store

Thanks for posting the guidelines, very interesting-- and I agree, a very small deduction for new paint, especially if engine bay, trunk, door jambs and hidden parts are considered in the overall percentage.

Of course, I'm waiting to win the 'Not Touched By Human Hands in 40 Years' Class--

imageproxy-19.jpg

If you do one, do two would be my view.  I think they would ding you (sorry about the pun) if you didn’t. If you say you have 10-12 “equivalents” (imagine taking a door and placing it all over the car except undersides) it looks like two doors less glass area are more than 10%.  Altho it’s close.  Better measure and calculate in square inches or CMs the major sections including the back and front sections and then the doors, divide one into the other…and…there you have it -  Excel to the rescue.  Seems with your car you’d have a fighting chance of placing.    

CCA National Event Concours:

Scoring

The BMW CCA judges will use a DOT system to quantify observations and deductions in each sub category.  One DOT will equate to ¼ of one point. Four DOTs will be one full point deduction.

With respect to the Concours Original Class, a maximum of one point  per sub-category in each major area may be deducted from the score if, in the opinion of the judges, a part or parts within the area are found to deviate from OEM specifications or have been modified in a non-authentic manner. No deductions will be made for safety related items such as seat belts, modern tires or lighting.

The Preservation Class (PC) will be for unrestored BMWs built at least 30 years before the year of the competition. The criteria will be authenticity & originality, provenance, condition and cleanliness.

The BMW CCA definition of ‘restored’ is specific. A car will be considered restored when the undercarriage, suspension and drivetrain have been repainted, replated and / or reconditioned in an manner that covers or removes the original surfaces as built / delivered by BMW. BMW’s with new exterior paint, new/rebuilt engines and new upholstery will not be considered restored as long as the car retains the original finish on the above mentioned undercarriage components.

Bonus points are awarded as follows for vehicles judged in Open or Preservation categories:

One point for every 50,000 odometer miles up to a maximum of three points.  If true mileage cannot be documented then no mileage points are awarded, mileage is TMU. Restored cars are not eligible for original mileage bonus. Restored cars will use an odometer clock reset rule, where in the mileage will be considered as 0.00 from the date of restoration completion.  All mileage accumulated after the restoration will be considered for above bonus points.

Additionally, these entrants receive, one point for each ten years of the car's age (model year is base) up to a maximum of five points.

The following additional bonus points are awarded at all National Concours for all classes:

One half-point per 250 miles driven to Oktoberfest from participant’s home determined by Google ® “shortest distance” with a maximum of 2,500 miles or 5 points. Note: This bonus is awarded only for miles that the car entered has actually been driven from the participant’s home to the event, not shipped or trailered.

• Like 1

HBChris

`73 3.0CS Chamonix, `69 2000 NK Atlantik

`70 2800 Polaris, `79 528i Chamonix