• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

40dcoe 151 defect

scanner

Trying to correct the poor idling on the 40 dcoe Webers I am fitting , I had checked the usual suspects (compression 140psi all cylinders, new NGK BP5ES plugs, good spark, 2.5psi Fuel pressure, float level correct, checked for vacuum leaks with ether, runs on all 4 above approx 2000) but eventually decided to partly dismantle and I noticed that there is a missing drilling in the starter circuit (see attachments) Notice in the first photo there is a missing drilling at the top of the starter valve bore. I won’t be using the starter circuit at all, however I’m not sure if this may be my rough idle as the problem is on the carb that has the non drilled hole and not having it there may be affecting the idle circuit somehow. And yes they are brand new Spanish Webers ??FD1F0B31-6838-4C72-AE3C-C9EE96DF3EFF.thumb.jpeg.4493300c6a2f96a8686665cdf6d51f4d.jpeg6AC8F878-8E01-45EC-8D90-D02883035C43.thumb.jpeg.0582e9a57b1769977b44385cd90c6e52.jpeg

Measure everything.

I have a Spanish Weber with one main jet well drilled 3-4 mm lower than the other.

The frustrated racer who effectively gave it to me said 'these things are junk!'

and he was right about that one.

t

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

Agree about returning it to the vendor, however I can’t work out if this missed drilling through to the starter valve would affect the idle circuit at all when the starter circuit isn’t even being used, logic says no but I don’t know enough about the inner workings to definitively say it won’t and hoped a Weber whisperer may shed some light?

And no it’s not knockoff, came from Eurocarb in the UK and passes all the tell tale genuine Weber tests.

It's not so much that hole, in modern manufacturing it's rare to do just one machining process at a time so if they missed that step who knows what else didn't get done.

• Like 1

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

4 hours ago, Son of Marty said:

It's not so much that hole, in modern manufacturing it's rare to do just one machining process at a time so if they missed that step who knows what else didn't get done.

Good point, have contacted vendor and awaiting response?. Yea not impressed with the casting quality, Hobsons choice these days with Webers, either worn out 30+ year old Italian that need a total refurb or rough Spanish castings?. At least being new I can return them until I get a good one.

15 hours ago, scanner said:

Good point, have contacted vendor and awaiting response?. Yea not impressed with the casting quality, Hobsons choice these days with Webers, either worn out 30+ year old Italian that need a total refurb or rough Spanish castings?. At least being new I can return them until I get a good one.

That was my view too, you are kind of insured against bad build quality by the option to return. I was disappointed with the build quality, but I did not want to drill/modify my visually perfect Italian webers...so after some fiddling and sanding the flanges all is good with the Spanish ones...haven't synched them in 3 or 4 years either. I'm not picky on idle quality, as long as it idles.

Andrew

1971 2002ti, 1985 E30 320i, 1960 Land Rover 109 Ser 2, 1963 Land Rover 88 Ser 2a, 1980 Land Rover Ser 3 Lightweight