• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Window Regulator

Billsmith

I heard the dreaded pop from my window crank handle and am attempting to replace/repair the regulator.   I need help. 

First, can the regulator be removed with the window and vertical rail in place?  I cannot get the knurled post of the regulator to back out of the hole due to conflict with the vertical rail.  I am assuming that the regulator has to be removed to repair the broken pivot connection?  I have searched the forum to no avail.  Some posts indicate that a Mercedes rivet can be used at the broken pivot point but best I can tell that part is NLA.  Any advice on this will be appreciated since I am a novice.  Thanks.

IMG_9427.jpg

IMG_9428.jpg

IMG_9426.jpg

Get the measurements of the old rivet and see if you can find a replacement here under clevis pins with retaining groove.

192x192.png?ver=1622796110
WWW.MCMASTER.COM

McMaster-Carr is the complete source for your plant with over 595,000 products. 98% of products ordered ship from stock and deliver same or next day.

• Like 1

If everybody in the room is thinking the same thing, then someone is not thinking.

George S Patton 

Planning the Normandy Break out 1944

I did a column on removing, repairing and replacing those accursed regulators--PM me and I'll send you a copy.  There's a M-B part that'll replace the broken rivet on your regulator...

mike

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

1 hour ago, Billsmith said:

Do you have the MB part number for the pin?

The most recent number I have is 115-586017-2; it superseded 115-725700-15. 

Let us know if this is still a good part number so we can update our files.

Cheers

mike

Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

Did you try ordering it from an MB dealer?  MB has their version of BMW Classic and claim to be able to get all sorts of obsolete parts for their older cars.  And I'll wager those window regulators as used on Mercedes wear out just like they do on BMWs, as they're most likely made by the same outside supplier.  

The other thought is to find a rivet (aluminum or steel) that's the same diameter. chuck in your drill press and use a hacksaw blade to cut a groove in it for an E-clip, and then cut the rivet to length and install.  Even a properly sized bolt with a nyloc nut will work--not as elegant, but still functionable.

mike

Thanks Mike.  I have decided to "bite the bullet" and replace both window regulators with a pair of new ones I am purchasing from Wallothnesch.  Also, replacing the door brakes.  I am having the "fake chrome" strips on the door panels redone.  Once I reinstall the panels, hopefully they can stay in place for a while.