• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Tilton / Wilwood Pedal Assemblies

M3This

Hi Guys, 

I was checking out Paul @ Son Of Cobra's car and saw his Tilton install, but was wondering how many other have done it and if there is a parts list. Paul's seems to be a firewall mount with the fulid reservoirs nicely tucked away in the cowl by the wiper motor, I think he might be reusing the stock accelerator pedal:

D915642F-AD69-422F-9448-4C4ACEBC806F.thumb.JPG.3685cf7310d6302a1005b9fdf230735c.JPG

I have also seen some others on here but cant seem to find them any more where they use a complete (3) pedal assembly from Tilton or Wilwood that mounts to the floorboard. Anyone have any insight in the installation process? Why one would got with one style over the other?

I'm panning on the IE Willwood 15" kit front and rear and know they need to be matched to the brake kit since it eliminates the booster. But any other information as far as whats involved in the install and what to look out for would be appreciated. 

I have a floor mounted 3 pedal system similar to Tilton, It has m/cylinders pointing forward from the assembly so it'll take some room to fit. Mine is a race car so seat in more towards the back and firewall is tinkered to suit so not an issue but i think it will be in more oe -ish layout. More $$$ and you'll get one that has m/cyls pointing back but then there is height issue of the assembly so might not be an option for everybody. Floor needs some structural support to minimize flexing. I have fluid reservoir in engine bay and routed thru firewall to cyls. 

• Like 1

2002 -73 M2, 2002 -71 forced induction. bnr32 -91

I used the Tilton hanging pedal assembly.  It's described in my build blog here. It's not plug-and-play as I had to move the steering column up to clear, but it worked well for me.  There is no parts list as it's tailored to your brake system, so individual master cylinder sizes will vary.  I called Tilton and told them the calipers, caliper piston sizes, and rotors, and they helped me optimize master cylinder sizes.   I used a Tilton hanging accelerator pedal, although you could use a Mazda 3 hanging pedal, or a floor pedal.57c244ebeeab6_Pedals-8.thumb.jpg.22c3f1a86399ac1538f07986ca081327.jpg

• Like 1

Ian
'76 M2

'02 325iT

3 hours ago, tzei said:

I have a floor mounted 3 pedal system similar to Tilton, It has m/cylinders pointing forward from the assembly so it'll take some room to fit. Mine is a race car so seat in more towards the back and firewall is tinkered to suit so not an issue but i think it will be in more oe -ish layout. More $$$ and you'll get one that has m/cyls pointing back but then there is height issue of the assembly so might not be an option for everybody. Floor needs some structural support to minimize flexing. I have fluid reservoir in engine bay and routed thru firewall to cyls. 

Do you mind sharing some photos?

I have OE e30m3 hanging pedals, probably the same as the rest of the e30 hanging pedals, and it moved my seating position back about 4 inches...  In my old car with regular pedals, I had a Momo hub adapter, a pretty tall quick release, and a very dished Sparco wheel.  I'm still trying to figure out how best to make up a bunch of that space to get the steering wheel back to me in the seat.

• Like 1

Dave.

'76, totally stock. Completely.

1 hour ago, M3This said:

Do you mind sharing some photos?

Not at all. I’ll take a few next time i’m near the car.

Come to my mind… i did have hanging pedal assemply from E21 fitted one time. I did add bedal box to it. Worked but decided to go with floor mount later on. 

2002 -73 M2, 2002 -71 forced induction. bnr32 -91

For a different perspective, I've used variously modified factory pedal boxes.

The first just replaced the booster with a balance bar and 

dual main brake cylinders.  That worked great, but

was heavy and in the way for the mechanic.

The second has a balance bar in the stock box, with the clutch primary cylinder

remoted off at an angle.  That's a lot better for space usage, but as far as the 

driver's concerned, it made no difference.  Maybe a little harder to service,

but the weight's low, where you'd want it.

Tilton main cylinders- you have to be a little cautious of the steering link rod

and the hydraulic lines, but there's room.

I found the mild steel to be maybe just a bit heavier than aluminum, but 

I trust my abilities with mild steel a LOT more than welding aluminum castings.

fwiw,

t

• Like 1

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL