• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Steering lock angle

irdave

Dave - the lock angle looks about right, though you may have a bit more? And I think you might end with more reverse camber than me. (?)

Is your steering 02 or e30? Or a mix?

Re: driftworthy? I have no idea what they’re shooting for for ideal steering or wheel geometry… i’m old school and typically prefer my wheels going in the same direction I am.

mine. 

A15EA984-4566-490C-AF70-BBE2732D4FFF.jpeg

• Like 1

Where we goin’? … I’ll drive…
There are some who call me... Tom too         v i s i o n a u t i k s.com   

That does look pretty close.  Forgot to mention, 16x8, ET20, 205/50-15- a little stretch, but not bad.  About 2" of flare, but not quite enough- still a little rubbing.

E30 subframe, z4 non-M steering rack.  Yeah, I know.  The z3 1.9 is a touch quicker, but more expensive- and I'd probably want to put the power steering back in.  The z4 non-M rack was originally electric assist.  When run in manual mode makes for a very tidy, light installation.  And my subframe has 2 sets of mounting holes for the rack- one for power assist and the other for manual, so it's really not too bad- you'd just have to really want to turn the wheels if you're not moving...

That all black looks so good!

Dave.

'76, totally stock. Completely.

I do exactly the perverse of that-

put limiters in so it can't turn so far.

Bkuz racekar.

t

(the slicks bind up on the inner fenders.  Plus,

if you're steering half that far, you've already gone

off the track ass- first)

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL

5 hours ago, irdave said:

That does look pretty close.  Forgot to mention, 16x8, ET20, 205/50-15- a little stretch, but not bad.  About 2" of flare, but not quite enough- still a little rubbing.

E30 subframe, z4 non-M steering rack.  Yeah, I know.  The z3 1.9 is a touch quicker, but more expensive- and I'd probably want to put the power steering back in.  The z4 non-M rack was originally electric assist.  When run in manual mode makes for a very tidy, light installation.  And my subframe has 2 sets of mounting holes for the rack- one for power assist and the other for manual, so it's really not too bad- you'd just have to really want to turn the wheels if you're not moving...

That all black looks so good!

That is some weird fitment, 15” tire on 16” rim ( j/k…)

Cool interchangeably on the rack. So you’re manual now. Welcome to the Popeye club (205/40-16s here). 205-50 is tall in 16”, so some of your rubs right there, besides width…

I only ever use full-lock (or near) at speeds below 20 or so - parking, u-turns, and switchbacks/hairpins.  I like Toby’s limiters idea (where’s the limiter go Mr. T?). I can get rubbing from the back of my front tires on the rear panels when taking uphill switchbacks (with no static rubbing). Polishes a nice spot in that inner fender liner..

thx, black is my favorite lack of color.

Where we goin’? … I’ll drive…
There are some who call me... Tom too         v i s i o n a u t i k s.com   

8 hours ago, visionaut said:

That is some weird fitment, 15” tire on 16” rim ( j/k…)

Cool interchangeably on the rack. So you’re manual now. Welcome to the Popeye club (205/40-16s here). 205-50 is tall in 16”, so some of your rubs right there, besides width…

I only ever use full-lock (or near) at speeds below 20 or so - parking, u-turns, and switchbacks/hairpins.  I like Toby’s limiters idea (where’s the limiter go Mr. T?). I can get rubbing from the back of my front tires on the rear panels when taking uphill switchbacks (with no static rubbing). Polishes a nice spot in that inner fender liner..

thx, black is my favorite lack of color.

Told you there was some stretch! :)

I used Flaming River steering parts to adapt the column to the rack, but yeah, it's pretty cool.  The stock e30m3 rack is about 1,000 turns lock to lock.  The z4 rack is about 3, maybe 2.5.  Way nicer.  And it's really not too bad; parallel parking would be tough, but other than that?  It's really good.

And yeah, the 205/50-16 is big, but I've been on 205/55-15- so it's only a couple mm, but apparently that's enough to make the difference...

Vantablack?

Dave.

'76, totally stock. Completely.

(where’s the limiter go Mr. t?)

on the insides of the subframe, where the steering arm and idler arm usually bump the 

subframe.  Drill and tappit for a 6 or 8mm bolt, then you can back a nut up onto the bolt

against the subframe for a locking- in- place solution.

I'd love to claim that idea, but it came to me in a 'race car' shell that had a cage with EMT bracing...

t

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

"I learn best through painful, expensive experience, so I feel like I've gotten my money's worth." MattL