• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Rocker cover nut tightening sequence

8 ft/lbs max but most say be careful and if it feels tight don't go further. Also tighten in a couple stages. I used a couple copper crush washers under nuts since some of my studs sat high and I did not want nuts to bottom out. Also dont forget a small dab of your favorite goo under the gasket where timing cover meets head. I use Hylomar Blue

PXL_20210601_120735394.jpg

• Thanks 1

1975 - 2366762 Born 7/75

See the whole restoration at:

http://www.rwwbmw2002.shutterfly.com

The heads are prone to cracking near / above cylinder 4. Clean that area thoroughly and check the thin "vertical" area of the head casting near that rear-most stud for stress crack(s)

• Thanks 1

Paul Wegweiser

Wegweiser Classic BMW Services

Nationwide vehicle transport available

NEW WEBSITE! www.zenwrench.com

I've always tightened my valve cover nuts like head bolts:  begin with the center two, then crisscross the outer four, ending finally with the bolt at the very front.  But regardless, they're still gonna weep a bit.  

If you're not the original owner, you might want to check the valve cover for flatness by laying on a sheet of plate glass, or using a straightedge to make sure it's not warped.  If it is, a machine shop can skim it to get it flat again...

mike

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

I’ve had this one about 13 years, I think I’ve done a crap job of tightening the cover, I reckon I went around the perimeter and not Criss cross, I seldom do things like that?, it was the end of a long day putting it all back together after a kugle pump swap out, because it’s above #4 plug it leaked onto the exhaust down pipe, though I did stem the leak a bit tightening it down, but did not manage to stop it, the cover is flat as I had it on a bench, but I will also check the head for cracks, looks like I have a job for today?

Thanks all.

I understand some valve cover gaskets are thinner than others, possibly causing the nuts to bottom out on the studs (top out?) before they are properly tight.

Cheers,

• Thanks 1

Ray

Stop reading this! Don't you have anything better to do?? :P
Two running things. Two broken things.