• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Introducing Farnoush Engineering - Big Brake Kits

BeEmVee2002

7 hours ago, danco_ said:

I’m probably going to buy a kit. I’ll be the crash test dummy. 

but you know, a discount would be cool too. 

I mean if I’m gonna die, I don’t want to pay a lot for it. 

for the record, I don’t drive my 02s hard anymore. I have much faster cars for that. 

I'll pay you $50 not to buy one and die. You don't have to drive hard to stress these types of parts. Only takes someone cutting you off and you needing to react to the situation that can still push parts to their limits.

fyi - every car I own is faster than my 2002.. hell, most cars on the street in general are faster than my 2002, lol..

72'  2002 turbo build - under construction...

3 minutes ago, ohgodno said:

Perfect!!!  I'll take 10 please!!

ps - that is some serious photo shop skill! great work :)

Edited by evil02
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

Bud, look.  No one is trying to hate on your stuff.  We love this stuff.  I've got aluminum hats with 300mm vented and slotted rotors front and rear, Wilwood 6 pistons radial mount fronts with 4 piston lug mounts rears (that use the stock e-brake) with a 25mm master.  Maybe it's a little overkill, but...

This forum isn't like a lot of forums; there is a lot of experience here, and a lot of engineers, and no one wants to see anyone get hurt, or die, including @danco_.  If you instrumented a strut / hub / brake / wheel area so you know the forces getting seen by the hub, so that relevant FEA could be done, just post the pictures.  Everyone loves FEA pictures, all the pretty colors.  It would be a way easier sell, and demonstrate the whole 'engineered' thing.  You said it had a factor of safety of 7- that means you did some math somewhere- just show us what you did.

• Like 5

Dave.

'76, totally stock. Completely.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Cyrus,

I'm with irdave on this one.  In fields where rigorous engineering is required there's LOTS of design reviews.  And the reviews focus on risk, forces, factors of safety, life time, etc. etc. etc...  The BEST engineers are very willing to put all their calculations, testing up for review and peer evaluation.  They know a review is a critique of the design and not a critique of their own engineering capability, experience, etc.  It is merely that, a critique choices and analysis that led to a specific design.  Remember, all design is inherently a series of compromises around a set of constraints ideally optimizing along one vector...  a review of the constraints, compromises and your optimization vector is always worthwhile, especially if its done by a knowledge peer group.  it appears that this forum has a number of knowledge folks that can (and have) been critiquing your design.  I urge you to thank them for the effort they've applied.   Their comments seem valid.  Their goal isn't to crush your new business endeavors but rather help you deliver great products and for the community have a richer set choices when it comes to building up their cars.  Sharing your work, as it were, can: show folks the rigor you have applied, stimulate conversation, drive out potential failure modes, improve designs, and at the very least build trust and confidence in your ability as a designer / fabricator in the community you wish to foster as customers.

I, also, have some questions about your design, and would really like to understand the load cases you've considered and the calcs and FEA you've completed.  at the very least you'll be able to show off all your engineering muscles.  i'm confident there's people in this group that will "get" the math.  

thanks again for all the work you've already put into this and for helping grow the 2002 community!  

• Like 3

5 hours ago, slowpoke said:

Cyrus,

I'm with irdave on this one.  In fields where rigorous engineering is required there's LOTS of design reviews.  And the reviews focus on risk, forces, factors of safety, life time, etc. etc. etc...  The BEST engineers are very willing to put all their calculations, testing up for review and peer evaluation.  They know a review is a critique of the design and not a critique of their own engineering capability, experience, etc.  It is merely that, a critique choices and analysis that led to a specific design.  Remember, all design is inherently a series of compromises around a set of constraints ideally optimizing along one vector...  a review of the constraints, compromises and your optimization vector is always worthwhile, especially if its done by a knowledge peer group.  it appears that this forum has a number of knowledge folks that can (and have) been critiquing your design.  I urge you to thank them for the effort they've applied.   Their comments seem valid.  Their goal isn't to crush your new business endeavors but rather help you deliver great products and for the community have a richer set choices when it comes to building up their cars.  Sharing your work, as it were, can: show folks the rigor you have applied, stimulate conversation, drive out potential failure modes, improve designs, and at the very least build trust and confidence in your ability as a designer / fabricator in the community you wish to foster as customers.

I, also, have some questions about your design, and would really like to understand the load cases you've considered and the calcs and FEA you've completed.  at the very least you'll be able to show off all your engineering muscles.  i'm confident there's people in this group that will "get" the math.  

thanks again for all the work you've already put into this and for helping grow the 2002 community!  

Unfortunately, the OP won't discuss or show his work rather, he has his alter ego "tuna no crust" come on here and say it's fine. The lack of response should be raising a red flag and speaks volumes. In 20+ years, I have never met an engineer that doesn't want to discuss their design. This reminds me of my 1st and 2nd year interns that know it all yet have zero experience to back it up.  I hope the two of you have a large insurance policy. God forbid someone has an accident because the disclaimer on your website is amateur at best for a seasoned lawyer. Good luck.. I

Thanks for your comments and concerns. However, it seems that at this moment in time, there are a few members on this forum who have spread false information about me personally, my experience as an Engineer, and the product that I have developed and am now offering to this wonderful community. It appears certain individuals are affiliated with other well-known suppliers in the 2002 community and do not wish to divulge any information as to who they are and what their conflict of interest may be. These scare tactics are cute but I’m sure that many readers on here with any sense of technical know-how have been able to filter through the b.s. and recognize the many times in which these individuals have contradicted themselves. Also, comments attacking me personally or claiming that my parents have given me anything are baseless and downright childish. While some of us are at work earning a living, it has been obvious which individuals throughout this thread have had the time to make baseless posts and even have the time to go back and edit those posts. If those individuals have tried and failed in their own endeavors, I cannot speak for them. What I can say though, is that my silence is my way of remaining busy to filter out all the noise caused by these individuals. For any people truly interested in our product we have already shared our FEA results on other social media platforms.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, BeEmVee2002 said:

Thanks for your comments and concerns. However, it seems that at this moment in time, there are a few members on this forum who have spread false information about me personally, my experience as an Engineer, and the product that I have developed and am now offering to this wonderful community. It appears certain individuals are affiliated with other well-known suppliers in the 2002 community and do not wish to divulge any information as to who they are and what their conflict of interest may be. These scare tactics are cute but I’m sure that many readers on here with any sense of technical know-how have been able to filter through the b.s. and recognize the many times in which these individuals have contradicted themselves. Also, comments attacking me personally or claiming that my parents have given me anything are baseless and downright childish. While some of us are at work earning a living, it has been obvious which individuals throughout this thread have had the time to make baseless posts and even have the time to go back and edit those posts. If those individuals have tried and failed in their own endeavors, I cannot speak for them. What I can say though, is that my silence is my way of remaining busy to filter out all the noise caused by these individuals. For any people truly interested in our product we have already shared our FEA results on other social media platforms.  

I'm not sure where any of these false information posts are or any personal attacks or scare tactics are but, I would say you made more mention to that then sharing your engineering skills. Also, I haven't seen anyone on here that is affiliated with "well-known" suppliers but then again, I don't know all the members here personally so, you could be right.

That being said, I will and have been speaking for myself. I have no business interest here. I do not sell BMW parts and I have no desire to.  I am speaking from 100% experience. I have personally designed and made 4 different hubs for cars that were ranged from 2200lbs to 3800lbs, have 4x to 6x times the HP of a 2002 and have many hours on tracks all around the US.

I think you are having a hard time separating emotion from engineering. I have no problem with the you and or your business. I am only questioning the strength of your hub design and at the time you would not offer proof. It is not my job to hunt down information on YOUR product. It is up to you to provide this information. It seems you had and I am glad you posted it. I would say that if what you posted is all the testing you did, I would still be concerned with your design. This is for free - The the faces you selected to be fixed and the apply forces to do NOT tell the whole story. I mean, maybe if it was in a vertical bearing press and you were trying to press out the center section but.. Good luck with your business and please be careful.   

• Like 1

As for your FEA you may not be using the right constraints.  You’ve got a fixed support on the bearing surface and i think that would apply if the bearing were infinitely stiff and the hub was welded to the bearing, neither of which are true.  For example, if there is a load into the page on the top and out of the page at the bottom of the hub face, then the face will tilt and the bearing surface will deform like an oval.  That absolutely happens or hubs would never crack.  You could try some runs at those conditions.

Also, this is aluminum and therefore can’t be designed for infinite life, so do you have life calcs to know how many cycles these hubs should last before they fatigue fail.  can you convert cycles into miles? 

Just some thoughts.  good luck, and we’re all hoping you’re successful.  At least i am.

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, slowpoke said:

As for your FEA you may not be using the right constraints.  You’ve got a fixed support on the bearing surface and i think that would apply if the bearing were infinitely stiff and the hub was welded to the bearing, neither of which are true.  For example, if there is a load into the page on the top and out of the page at the bottom of the hub face, then the face will tilt and the bearing surface will deform like an oval.  That absolutely happens or hubs would never crack.  You could try some runs at those conditions.

Also, this is aluminum and therefore can’t be designed for infinite life, so do you have life calcs to know how many cycles these hubs should last before they fatigue fail.  can you convert cycles into miles? 

Just some thoughts.  good luck, and we’re all hoping you’re successful.  At least i am.

Very well put.  As for hoping he is successful, I'm sure I don't come across as being nice here but, I genuinely hope he is too. I'm happy to see people making things for the 2002!  No emotion here, just facts.

• Like 1