• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1973 BMW 2002 Tii - Front Bumper Over Rider Question

Billsmith

I am sending my bumpers off to be rechromed.  As part of that effort, I am removing all of the rubber.  Does anyone have any advice on how to remove the rubber from the front over riders?  Also, how to replace with existing or new after new chrome arrives?  Finally, can anyone confirm that the over riders pictured are period correct for a '73 Tii?

Overider 1.jpg

Overider 2.jpg

The best way I found to get the rubber off those '73 only (for the US) front overriders is to squirt a little dish soap or silicone spray around each tab, then use a pair of needlenose pliers to compress the rubber along the tab's long axis, and a thin screwdriver blade to pry 'em out, one side of each tab at a time.  Unless the rubber is really hardened or deteriorated, you won't snap off the tabs.

mike

• Like 1

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite