• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

IE Short Shifter Fitment Issues

Mucci

3 hours ago, tripperdude said:

I installed that shifter in my ‘68 last week, and upgraded my selector rod  to a late model. While the angle of mine is correct, I did have that exact  same issue with the bushings. The top of my upper bushing sits flush with the top of the cylinder, and I was unable to install any of the pieces above it. Although since it’s so tight in there, it holds itself in place. I had thought maybe the very early shift plate might be different. I guess IE had a batch of bushings that are incorrect. I drove it a bunch like this and it stayed in there and shifted smoothly. But I guess we  should ask for replacement bushings that fit properly. 

Mine also fit snug without the parts above the plastic bushing but once they get a bit worn there won’t be a spring in there to apply pressure and it’ll get sloppy. 

Edited by Mucci

1975 2002 - US Spec, Taiga Green

Small update - Andrew got back to me and verified the plastic bushings weren't correct and is sending me the right pair.

As for the far right lean we're still trying to figure that out. I'm going to get back under the car to check if anything's bent.

3 hours ago, Mucci said:

Small update - Andrew got back to me and verified the plastic bushings weren't correct and is sending me the right pair.

As for the far right lean we're still trying to figure that out. I'm going to get back under the car to check if anything's bent.

Good to hear on the bushings. 

I doubt anything could be bent that far and not effect the stock shifter. I would  email them the side by side pictures of the old and new shifter. I think they will agree that the new shifter shouldn't be that different from the original.

Double checked the shift plate, arms and trans mounts. They all look straight. I took the stock shifter apart to look for signs that someone bent it but didn’t see any dents or jaw marks. It looks untouched. Also verified it’s the 232 trans. 

Only other thing I could think of (besides this being the wrong shifter) is that maybe the angle was off because it was sitting higher in the shift plate due to the incorrect bushings. 

Here are the rods next to each other, IE on right. 

B1A7C4FA-8734-48E4-88F1-26331C39BB8C.jpeg

Edited by Mucci

• 2 weeks later...

While waiting for the plastic bushings I took the linkage off the car to have a closer look after Andrew spotted a potentially bent part. 

It turned out both pieces were slightly bent:

FD2ABDD7-4984-4A2A-879C-A2A40C22F499.jpeg
4E680FAF-B917-44E1-B30F-5A18D6191A70.jpeg

D5CDA425-5DBC-4167-9B30-B2F2B0E6038E.jpeg

A64C7882-C53F-415A-B490-AD57DBF4131E.jpeg

I put both of them in the vice and tweaked until the numbers were straight. 

Here are the correct cup bushings (white) Andrew sent over:

364C6189-AC84-427E-9BC3-A5934CE94B06.jpeg

0E38E7B9-B129-43CC-BC13-02D87C78E6BB.jpeg
83F29C97-9DB0-4704-A702-A860018ECAF9.jpeg

You can see the difference in ID on the thin side is about 1.5mm.

The correct bushings and the tweaks to the linkage definitely helped. The shifter is still biased towards the right but perhaps that’s normal? Let me know if your shifters sit perfectly straight and centered in the console when in N. 

When mines in first it’s perfectly straight up. Honestly it feels pretty good to me. I’m 6’3” with long legs and if first gear was biased to the left more it’d start getting pretty close to my leg. The amount of throw is spot on too. Definitely shorter but not “stubby”. 

I’ll post photos later. Did the install at night without much light. 

Edited by Mucci

Here’s the shifter in neutral:

(ignore the gross carpet. That’s getting pulled out)

EC4B2BA4-592F-405A-A66E-1CCC46885B05.jpeg

Also FYI, the thread size is larger on the IE shifter so the 2002 knobs don’t fit. Luckily I had this one from my E28 still. 

25 minutes ago, Mucci said:

Here’s the shifter in neutral:

(ignore the gross carpet. That’s getting pulled out)

EC4B2BA4-592F-405A-A66E-1CCC46885B05.jpeg

Also FYI, the thread size is larger on the IE shifter so the 2002 knobs don’t fit. Luckily I had this one from my E28 still. 

That's better but still not quite right, that would bug me. I would suggest trying to bend the linkage some more the same way you were going.

Never been a fan of red interior, and definitely not in a 2002. The only advantage to a red interior is you don't have to worry if you bleed on it lol.

If I bend anything else it'll be the shifter rod to match the OEM rod (above) since the linkage parts are now straight.

It almost feels like there's spring resistance from one side but not the other; i.e. there's spring pressure coming from the left, pushing the shifter to the right...but no pressure coming from the right. I haven't opened up a 232 so I'm not sure what the inner mechanism looks like. 

I'm going to drive with it a bit first because I think it feels good as-is.

11 minutes ago, 2002iii said:

Never been a fan of red interior, and definitely not in a 2002. The only advantage to a red interior is you don't have to worry if you bleed on it lol.

Me either, plus it's a garbage upholstery job with Jeep wrangler front seats... Not my doing.

The car will be going back to it's original Taiga green so some Saddle brown will be replacing it.

11 minutes ago, Mucci said:

If I bend anything else it'll be the shifter rod to match the OEM rod (above) since the linkage parts are now straight.

It almost feels like there's spring resistance from one side but not the other; i.e. there's spring pressure coming from the left, pushing the shifter to the right...but no pressure coming from the right. I haven't opened up a 232 so I'm not sure what the inner mechanism looks like. 

I'm going to drive with it a bit first because I think it feels good as-is.

Me either, plus it's a garbage upholstery job with Jeep wrangler front seats... Not my doing.

The car will be going back to it's original Taiga green so some Saddle brown will be replacing it.

I'd be careful bending the shifter rod, it might crack or snap off if you try and bend it.

Sounds like you might have a 232 on its last legs. The early ones were known for having issues with syncro's. Your probably better of getting a later 242 4 speed or going to a 245 or 240 5 speed.

If you can live with it then do. I'm a bit of a perfectionist.

Ewwww, Jeep seats. Nothing from a Jeep should end up in a BMW, you're obviously saving this car from its tormented past lol.

40 minutes ago, rcf925 said:

I Used IE shifter platform for my Gertrag 245 but kept my shifter out of the 4spd, I had to modify IE platform but shifter is perfect for me, It's in neutral as shown

Shifter.jpg

Using the OEM shifter would eliminate the short-shift feature, the reason I bought this.

2 hours ago, Mucci said:

Using the OEM shifter would eliminate the short-shift feature, the reason I bought this.

There ain't a whole lot of difference between short throw and not on these cars,  I like a little taller shifter