• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

German Bosch ignition coil

Fletcher

I recently replaced the ignition coil with a new Bosch one. One of you fine people told me to keep the old one if it says “Germany” on it.  It does and I did. What is the significance of that though?  Is it valuable even though it doesn’t work very well anymore?  Thx ??

3 minutes ago, Fletcher said:

What is the significance of that though?  Is it valuable even though it doesn’t work very well anymore?  

It's just that they are no longer made in Germany and I get a kick out of having parts on my car that say GERMANY.

I bought a new coil when I first got my car.  They don't paint them black anymore (raw aluminum) and put colored stickers on them with part numbers and stuff.  I am not obsessive about originality, but it bothered me to see than shiny new thing under my hood, so I put the original one back in; since the primary and secondary resistance were still in spec.

IMG_2669.thumb.JPG.ca6b6972938d21f366aae7bed58977c0.JPG

Coils don't seem to fail very often, but the "new is better" mindset often leads to them being replaced.  The old ones are not valuable.

What makes you say it does not work very well anymore?

IMG_2684.thumb.JPG.653f1e5bd1e43390c148798ac035cc50.JPG

Tom

• Like 1

It's been my experience that coils either work just fine, or they're dead.  Not much in between.  

Tom, you can always paint that shiny new coil black, and transfer the Bosch sticker from the old coil onto it...?

mike

• Like 2

'69 Nevada sunroof-Wolfgang-bought new
'73 Sahara sunroof-Ludwig-since '78
'91 Brillantrot 318is sunroof-Georg Friederich 
Fiat Topolini (Benito & Luigi), Renault 4CVs (Anatole, Lucky Pierre, Brigette) & Kermit, the Bugeye Sprite

19 minutes ago, Mike Self said:

Tom, you can always paint that shiny new coil black, and transfer the Bosch sticker from the old coil onto it...?

I sold the shiny new one a while ago.  The Bakelite end was black on that one.  Not the pretty GERMAN flesh-tone.

I love the early ones with the coffee brown ends.  Especially when paired with a matching distributor cap. 

These have had cream added to the coffee.

025.JPG

Someone on here posted a photo of their grey-capped coil a while back.  I was envious.

017.JPG

The GERMANY caps and rotors make me happy too.

IMG_2767.JPG

Tom

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

@rocketman recommend I do it after he drove it here from Sonoma.  Said it was was “missing” when accelerating.  He’d fixed or replaced everything but the coil when he put the engine back in, so felt the coil needed replacing.  

I have a little multimeter somewhere.  What should look for on the old one to judge it good/bad?

9 hours ago, '76mintgrün'02 said:

I love the early ones with the coffee brown ends.  Especially when paired with a matching distributor cap. 

You mean like these ...

3A185EAC-1E24-4680-BF92-85D5B38734DF.jpeg

• Like 1

1967 2000 #1326213 SOLD / 1972 2002 Verona - insurance loss / 1962 700 Luxus SOLD / 1975 530i Malaga SOLD

http://nk2000project.blogspot.com/

"Rust Never Sleeps"